technical question regarding network settings
dvd94

There does not seem to be much "answered questions" on this forum -- more like a gripe  forum - but I'll give it a shot:

I occassionally do file transfers between my mac and pc, using a connected ethernet cable -- and have had no problems with this until after I did a successful transfer today.  Then I was not able to do another.  I looked at my Local Area Connection settings - Details - and noticed that the Autoconfiguration IPv4 address that was once there, was no longer there.  This may explain why the mac was not able to 'find' the pc -- but I'm not sure.  Looking at other sites on the web, it appears there should not only be a Autoconfiguration IPv4 address (which was there before, because I took the IP address 169.254.xxx.xx address from there before) - but there also should be an Autoconfiguration IPv4 'enabled' [yes] setting there also, which also does not appear in my settings.  I suspect I must have inadvertantly changed a setting when I did the last transfer, but do not know what or how to correct it.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: technical question regarding network settings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some questions if you do not mind:

#1 What kind of cable is it?

#2 Is this cable connected directly to the two computers or do you have a cable for those two computers connected to something else?

#3 If you have a cable for those two computers connected to something else, what is the band and model of that something else? For example I have my computers connected to a Linksys E4200v1

#4 Regardless if this cable connected directly to the two computers or do you have a cable for those two computers connected to something else, do you know how to setup a Static IP on your computer?

0 Likes