xbox and iPhone issues with Westell 7500
kaymay77

I'm fairly tech savvy, though not a true techy...but I can't seem to figure this issue out.

I have a Westell 7500 router (I've been through 2 now), and experience the following issues:

1) My son can't use Xbox live

2) I can't get my Yahoo email on my iPhone while the router is on.  I can download the email fine when I turn the router off

I tried messing with the port forwarding (spent HOURS trying to figure it all out), and nothing worked until I turned the firewall settings to low.  This is great because now our things work, but I'm not comfortable having low firewall settings.

So...

Does anyone know how to fix this?  Or, can anyone recommend good firewall software that would provide the coverage that the router covers so we can keep the security set to low on the router?

thanks,

K

0 Likes
Re: xbox and iPhone issues with Westell 7500
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Both issues you are referring to are related to port forwarding. Once you find the correct ports and how to forward them correctly, you will not have to lower the firewall settings and your son will be able to connect to xbox live. His issue may be connection related as well if he doesn't have the network settings set up correctly in the Xbox. Though Xbox live does require ports to be forwarded as well. There is a preset for Xbox in the port forwarding menu. From the drop down box there is a listing for Xbox. For more information on port forwarding, you can visit www.portforward.com . There is a router list link at the top with many different Westell routers to pick from to see what best matches yours.