Re: Actiontec router does not support wireless range extender - so how to extend range?
Roosterdad

This approach is exactly what I would like to do, but have not figured out how yet.

I have two actiontec MI424WR's.

One is running, but the wifi doesn't reach the other side of the house.  I have cable in eavery room and would like to plug the second Actiontec into cable in a room on the other side of the house, farthest away from the current actiontec.  I would like a second SSID the kids could connect to on that side of the house.

Are there explicit directions anywhere on how to do this?  I called Verizon and they told me they would not support this - AKA we will not help you.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router does not support wireless range extender - so how to extend range?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Roosterdad wrote:

This approach is exactly what I would like to do, but have not figured out how yet.

One is running, but the wifi doesn't reach the other side of the house.  I have cable in eavery room and would like to plug the second Actiontec into cable in a room on the other side of the house, farthest away from the current actiontec.  I would like a second SSID the kids could connect to on that side of the house.

Are there explicit directions anywhere on how to do this?  I called Verizon and they told me they would not support this - AKA we will not help you.

Thanks!

Follow this guide. As long as you can get a Coaxial (MoCa) connection off to the second ActionTec, it can connect up to the primary router and do what you want it to do. Just be sure to run both routers on separate Wi-Fi channels (1, 6, or 11). Try to also locate the second ActionTec router where it's going to provide both adequite Wireless coverage where it's needed, and close to devices that have Wired ports. That way you can help to cut down on the number of devices on your Wireless, provide better performance to devices by wiring them up, AND improve your Wireless coverage.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Please read the guide carefully so the two routers don't fight for "control" over the network. When all is set, both Wired and Wireless should work from the ActionTec by simply being connected via coaxial.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Roosterdad wrote:

Thanks!

See this

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#15984

or do this

To configure the second router as a bridge with it's own ssid

reset it to factory defaults

connect a machine to it with an ethernet cable to one of it's lan ports using the default userid and password

Disable the moca (broadband) connection

give it an ip address on the 192.168.1 subnet that is NOT 192.168.1.1 and preferably not in the dhcp pool on the new router

set up the wireless ssid and security

disable the dhcp server 

connect it to a coax connector

it can be connected anywhere on the coax network

0 Likes
thebluman

I keep reading that I cannot extend my Verizon wireless router.  But Actiontec provides a solution specifically for Verizon Fios users.

Quick Overview

With the WCB3000N, you can provide reliable whole-home wireless coverage to your subscribers. The MoCA or Ethernet-based adapter extends a homeowner’s Wi-Fi network to an area of the home where wireless coverage was previously weak, such as a dead zone in the 2nd floor bedroom or 1st floor family room. Using a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection and offering dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios, the WCB3000N offers the best performance around for extending the home’s Wi-Fi network. 

It takes the credentials from your existing Wi-Fi network and creates a second network with the same name. Your devices go from one network to the other, seamlessly.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/64.php

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I recently added the following Hi Gain Antenna to my Actiontec router and have good results:

• Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna With magnetic base for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, APA05, WUS036NH, WUS03 (Leave Product Review)

The Router is located in the office in the back right corner of the home (office located behind garage).

The bedrooms on the second floor at the other end of the house had spotty Wireless LAN Coverage.

This antenna has helped get better Wifi in those rooms.

0 Likes
wlfirm

This info is helpful. I will try it!

0 Likes
iks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a WiFi (not a cell/36) ActionTec Network Extender from a Verizon FIOS store (not a phone store) for $79, plugged it in to a FIOS coax and it worked right away. It has dual bands (24 and 5) plus two Ge ethernet ports.. Two things to keep in mind, this is for a MoCa signal (FIOS). I did not need a separate Moca adapter. If the other part of your home has a FIOS STB you can use a splitter. This is NOT a repeater. Works really well and easily.

-Ian

0 Likes
hrm9111

It does but it depend on the kind of relay. Some seem imposible.  Another can be set up in miutes. I had an one type on an older Actiontec router but it took me awhile to get it connected. When I swtched to thew new router , I have yet to figure how to conect it. In the meantime I bought another   and  it was up and running  within  15-20 minutes.  Somone who knew what they wer doing. might do it faster. Also YouTube has a bunch of videos to help. some of the relays have a wps button that makes it  a little easeir.

0 Likes
DebLG1

Do you know if the ActionTec model GT784WNV supports a wireless signal booster?

0 Likes
Bwangster12

Before I give up and buy an Actiontec Network Extender, I want to give this one last try.

I actually have an extra Actiontec mi424wr rev 1 and was able to follow instructions to get it set up as a second router to put in my basement (primary in upstairs).  I reserved a block of IPs on both routers, assigned the 2nd router 192.168.1.2 and disabled the DHCP server on it.  I also made sure both routers had the same SSID and password.

The problem I seem to be having is that after a few days, my wireless internet seems to stop working (says I'm connected) but no internet... and my cable boxes lose their connectivity.  Do I need to be doing something with releasing/renewing lease?  Not familiar with what or how this works.  Do I need to disable the broadband coax/ethernet thing in My Network?  I know on teh rev 1 that setting is together.  

Its weird, cause the 2nd router provides extended coverage for a few days and then all devices lose internet connectivity to either router.

0 Likes