Can I connect two actiontec mI424wr via coax?
mikecdrew

I have a new addition in my home, with an home entertainment area with poor reception from my current actiontec router.   I have acquired a second Actiontec off eBay that I want to connect to my coax in the new addition so I can add some "wired" ethernet connections to the xbox, sling, blu-ray etc.   I have seen many posts about a MOCA bridge, but I am not sure that is really what I a trying to do.   I have an existing Actiontec, that is controlling the menus and VOD for my TV service.   I just want to connect the second router via coax so I have faster and reliable internet in this new addition as well.   Help!  I am somewhat technically savvy, and can follow config instructions, but not a networking expert.     Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I connect two actiontec mI424wr via coax?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The MoCA bridge is exactly what you want.   While you can reconfigure the second ActionTec to essentially act as a MoCA bridge (there are links here on the forum as well as DSLreports on how to do it), I would encourage you to just go with the bridge as it's much simpler (there is no configuration required).

Simply install the MoCA bridge (ActionTec HME2200/ECB2200) and connect it to an active Coax connection in your addition.  It will pair with the primary ActionTec router elsewhere in the home.   Then, if you have more than one device that needs connected, get a small switch (not router) online -- should run you less than $20 for a 5 or 8 port unit -- and connect it to the MoCA bridge and all of your devices -- again, no configuration required.

If you decide you really want to use the router instead, you essentially need to disable all of the WAN interfaces (so it doesn't fight with your primary router trying to get an internet address) and then disable the LAN features such as the DHCP server so that it essentially acts as a MoCA bridge with 4 port switch.

0 Likes
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
mikecdrew

Thanks all... Mike

0 Likes