Connecting wireless printer
u2devs
Enthusiast - Level 1

I cannot connect my new Canon wireless printer to my network because it cannot find it.  The WPS light is not on and nothing happens when I press and hold the button with the two arrows.

Labels (1)
Re: Connecting wireless printer
mallwalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

It will help, if you would say what model you are working with. Then some one could do a little research, and try  to help you.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What is the make of your wireless router that you are connecting to?

0 Likes
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two options:

1. Connect printer to computer using USB and configure the settings to work on the network wirelessly.

or.

2. With the printer set-up for DHCP... Log into the wireless router and search for the newly assigned IP with the descripter for the printer in which you want to install.

NOTE: Its always better to assign a STATIC IP to printers, servers, BDP's... Once a static IP is assigned, you will be able to install the drivers on all computers connected to the network using the IP address assigned to the printer. Most IT people assign the IP outside the range of the DHCP server. For example... most DHCP routers assign IP's to computers starting at xxx.xxx.1.2. Therefore, you should assign the printer xxx.xxx.1.200. Verizon uses xxx.xxx.1.100... for the STB's.

LProyect

I spent (wasted) an hour on the phone today with Brother technical support. They told me that my HL-2170 wireless printer was not being recognized by the network and that something beyond their control was at fault. Clearly it was the Verizon router. I had set security to minimized yesterday to no avail. When I spoke to Verizon tech support yesterday, they said that they did not get involved with printer problems. Frankly, this sucks big-time. Obviously this is a widespread problem but Verizon shrugs it off. I finally connected the printer to my wife's desktop computer and am sharing it as a Mac resource. If we were using Windows computers, we'd be out of luck. I am generally pleased with FIOS but this is really third-rate.

0 Likes
TimW120

I am having the exact same issue. The instructions on the printer advise to press the button on the router (WiFi Protected) within 2 minutes for auto activation…the problem is that nothing at all occurs to let me know anything at all is happening….And it does not work because the router did not pick it up as a device.

The router is a MI424WR and the printer is a cannon MG3200

Also, I appreciate the advice that is given here but I do not know how to (connect it via USB and then) manually configure the settings to work on the network wirelessly.

Thanks in advance for helping

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

WPS doesn't work on the verizon models at least the last time I tried it.  Button doesn't even exist on some models and not currently supported on my rev F or rev i

Sorry you have to manually configure the device..

0 Likes
aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The WPS button on the FIOS routers are disabled

So you will first need to connect the printer using USB to the PC install the disc provided by canon and select connect using usb

once installation and drivers are done

it will automatically detect the wireless network

then the set up of the canon printer will ask you to unplug the usb and ask you to print

That should be it.

P.S. - Verizon tech support doesnot deal with connecting printers to the router as printer is not a Verizon equipment, also this is done only by the canon set up CD.

0 Likes