Important Information Regarding your Wireless Network Security
VerizonInsanity
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received this email today from Verizon stating that I need to change my wifi router settings for WPA2 instead of WEP.

What the wonderfully intelligent Verizon folks forgot to include as a very basic step is to CHECK first before you follow any instructions.  The wonderful router that Verizon supplied doesn't indicate on the configuration page that WPA2 is ALREADY configured.  At first I thought Verizon pushed out new code and wiped that configuration, but that didn't make sense.  I was sure I had set up WPA2.  Then I remembered, looking at my notes, to check "Wireless Status" under "Wireless Settings."

My recollection was confirmed.  I almost had to re-do everything and then update all of my devices because I started to blindly follow Verizon's lead.

So, don't blindly follow Verizon instructions and remember that the user interface on Verizon routers is pretty awful, too.

Check around, don't assume that the interface will indicate that something is already configured.  One screen may tell you something is configured (status) and the other is written to assume you intend to configure (even if already configured).

I hope this helps someone.

Labels (1)
Re: Important Information Regarding your Wireless Network Security
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its a generic message going to EVERYONE.

The G and I version even come configured with WPA2 , and many have followed previous recommendations to switch to WPA2.