Internet Access though 'Powerline Adapter' for TV, etc.?
saltydad

I have FIOS internet, using a Actiontec M142WR Wireless router attached to my desktop in my downstairs rec room. My HDTV, Blu-Ray, and DISH Network HD DVR are all upstairs in another room. I'm told I can use a 'powerline adapter' to be able to hook up via LAN inouts my entertainment devices to my internet service. How do I go about doing this. I see there is something called a Sling box with 4 outlets to attach devices; is this what they mean? Obviously I'm not terribly adept at computers, so any help in basic terms would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Internet Access though 'Powerline Adapter' for TV, etc.?
prisaz
Legend

@saltydad wrote:

I have FIOS internet, using a Actiontec M142WR Wireless router attached to my desktop in my downstairs rec room. My HDTV, Blu-Ray, and DISH Network HD DVR are all upstairs in another room. I'm told I can use a 'powerline adapter' to be able to hook up via LAN inouts my entertainment devices to my internet service. How do I go about doing this. I see there is something called a Sling box with 4 outlets to attach devices; is this what they mean? Obviously I'm not terribly adept at computers, so any help in basic terms would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Sling Box $300

You may want to move your router upstairs on the coax where all other devices are located. This may also give you better wireless coverage depending on where you use your wireless devices. All you would need at the other location is a bi-directionl splitter on the coax. Providing your router is connected only to COAX WAN and not Ethernet WAN. Then you could put your one workstation downstairs on a MOCA bridge. Coax to Ethernet.EBC2200 would be cheaper then a sling box. A sling box would give you things you may not be looking for and at a considerable cost.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

EBC2200 is about $90. If you want multiple connections you could use a switch at the location of this device. Or leave your router where it is and place one of these with a low cost switch in the other room. This would probably be your best bet if you have no way to run ethernet cable to the other room.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Node%3AFiOS_Inte...

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure HME2200 will be good solution here prisaz ... since the OP mentions Dish Network, that likely means no FiOS TV and Dish network TV signals are not compatible on the same coax as MoCA.   

To the OP ... are these devices "upstairs" network ready (in other words, do they have a computer network connection on them already and you want them to be able to get to the network to get updates, download Blu-Ray data, etc.)  or do with wish to be able to view these devices video outputs remotely from the internet while travelling, etc.?  

Depending on what you'd like to do, the answer is different.

While prisaz's suggestion of an HME2200 would ultimately be the best way to solve part of this solution, with Dish in the picture, we can't use that (you aren't planning to become a FiOS TV customer any time soon are you?).   We can do this with power line networking although there are few gotcha's which we'll need to talk about.  Do you happen to have a dedicated coax run (must be separate from the Dish TV coax) between the two locations or the ability to fish a piece of ethernet cable?   Just trying to size up your best options.

0 Likes
saltydad

To both of you, thanks for the fast replies. Responses to some questions-

1. No there is no connection between the upstairs (A/V) and downstairs (computer and router). No way for me (without outside expense) to fish cable through the floors.

2. I have a contract obligation with  Dish. Plus, I'm very happy with their service and product so far.

3. The 3 devices upsstaits all allow LAN connection; none are wireless. They all have internet features I would like to take advantage of. Whether I would also want to have the Dish Network content available on my desktop- nice but secondary. Remote viewing away from home not really as consideration, but a maybe.

Thanks; let me know if any other data needed. I saw a 'powerline adapter' at Best Buy with 4 LAN connections possible. Is this a possible solution? Dish Network has a SlingLink Turbo Connection they offer but this would leave my Samsung BluRay and Panasonic plasma HDTV unconnected.

Thanks.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the info ... so in your case it sounds like we have two possible solutions:

1. Wireless Ethernet Bridge - these devices have one or more ports on  them to which you connect your equipment and the device then connects wirelessly to your existing router's wireless network.   The challenge with this type of device is that you must configure it to get onto your wireless network -- inserting the SSID and wireless password into a configuration screen before you can use it.  Benefit is that it works wirelessly, so as long as it can see the signal from your router, it will be able to connect.   However, since it's wireless -- and in this case wireless G, it's speed may be somewhat spotty.

2. Powerline Ethernet Adapter -- there are several varieties here.  A slower 85mbs, a 200mbs, and a new 500mbs variety.   Make sure you get the 200 or 500 speed varieties.  These can work fairly well.  Downside is that they can be subject to performance issues depending on local electrical conditions.  Make sure if you use these that each end gets plugged directly into a wall outlet and there are no extension cords, surge suppressors, power strips, or UPS devices in the way.  They are relatively easy to pair and configure.   The biggest downside is that they can fail to work if you don't understand your home's electrical layout.   For best performance -- place the devices on the same circuit.  Since that's frequently not possible, you want to try to get them on the same phase (most homes have a "A" side and a "B" side -- this is what is joined together for three-phase 220v service.  While the signal produced by these devices can be strong enough to work across phases, frequently you'll find severe performance degradation or a failure to pair if they are not on the same phase.  In a typical breaker box, going vertically counting single wide breaker slots -- even breakers are on one phase and odd breakers are on the other.   YMMV.  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Dish Network. That does mean the coax is used for sat. Wireless bridge is good. I have one that I like.

Power line may be your best bet.

Good catch Lasagna. I was asleep at the switch. Not router, switch.

0 Likes