Router with eight Ethernet ports?
Colin_W
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have eight Ethernet cables but the router only has four Ethernet ports. Do you offer a router with more ports? Or do you have tips on how to set up an expander? I have a NetGear box but it doesn't expand correctly... Something to do with static versus DHCP IP addresses that I can't figure out...

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router with eight Ethernet ports?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need an Ethernet switch, not another router.

Eight port, 100Mbps switches are dirt cheap online.  1G switches are a bit more, but not much.  You should get a 1G switch if you can afford it.

Simply plug one of the ports on the switch into the Verizon router.  You can use then use all of  the remaining ports on the Verizon router and the switch.  If you buy an eight port switch, this will give you a total of 10 available ports (three on the Verizon router and seven on the switch).

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need an Ethernet switch, not another router.

Eight port, 100Mbps switches are dirt cheap online.  1G switches are a bit more, but not much.  You should get a 1G switch if you can afford it.

Simply plug one of the ports on the switch into the Verizon router.  You can use then use all of  the remaining ports on the Verizon router and the switch.  If you buy an eight port switch, this will give you a total of 10 available ports (three on the Verizon router and seven on the switch).

Good Luck.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, Fios doesn't have a 8 port router, but you have a couple options at your disposal to get more ports.

The easiest and lowest maintenance is to get a switch.  a switch is designed for exactly what you are trying to do, and switches are SUPER cheap and Super easy to set up.  pretty much plug n play, and if your only goal is more ethernet ports, then I would do that.

If you want to hook up that second router you have and just use those ports, then you can and you should follow these instructions.

digimon900
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought this because I needed 8 ports. To use this product you actually have to get a lot of technical help from Verizon. First: I called them up and requested that they provision the Ethernet port in my ONT - this takes a while for tech support to understand, basicly you are asking them not to send the Internet through your coaxial cabling.

Second: I provisioned Verizon's Actiontec via the Ethernet connection to ensure that there was no service problems,

Third: after using it for a few days I called them up and asked to break my DHCP lease on the modem, again customer services are worse than useless and you have to insist on speaking to a tech who understands what you are asking for rather than reading from a screen.

Fourth: Plugged it in and away we go!

Fifth: Called Verizon and asked for a pre-paid return box and label to send their modem back.

Best investment ever! Perfect streaming video, great voip, no dropping of connections or anything.

However... If you have Verizon STBs for your TV the actiontec router sends the TV guide and on demand account verification to from the boxes. This is because it is an Internet MOCA bridge, you need to have it plugged in and connected to the coax somewhere to keep your services running. 

If you dont like the idea of the device drinking juice and sending out stray wi-fi signals to anyone and everyone, or you want rid of Verizon's equipment then buy a cheap MOCA Lan bridge and have it send the signals to the boxes.

After setting up my 8 port Router I subsequently had to add an 8 port switch to accommodate my ever growing devices.

jomc1
Here is how I Converted my old Fios Router into an Ethernet Switch connected to the new High Speed Router:

When I received an Actiontec M1424WR Rev1 Bronze Colored HI Speed Fios Router, I converted the slower Silver M124WR to an Ethernet Switch to increase the number of available wired ethernet ports from the 4 on the new router to 6 total using both routers.

The plan is to use the 3 ports on the older router for slow devices like printers and remote sensors, reserving the ports on the faster router for desktop computers and a video link to a blue ray player. If more than 6 ports are eventually needed, buying an 8 port switch is a relatively inexpensive alternative.

The conversion requires 1) turning off wireless ability ; 2) disabling DHCP Ip Address Distribution; and 3)  changing the router’s address to a unique, non conflicting one.  Then the old router becomes a switch when one end of a standard ethernet cable is plugged into a LAN port on the new router and the other end into a LAN port on the old one.  (The Actiontec is self-sensing and does not require a cross-over cable.)

DETAILED STEPS

1.0  Disconnect a PC from the local network and connect an ethernet cable from the PC to LAN port on the old router.
1.1  Enter into your browser 192.168.1.1 if that is it’s default address.  Enter the user name and password that was assigned in past. 
       ( I have labelled this info on my unit.)  If you don’t know these, reset router and try Admin/Password1. 
1.2  On Main screen, under MY Router, Quick Links, select Change Wireless Settings, Turn Wireless OFF.

2.0  On Main Screen, at top, select ADVANCED, Ip Address Distribution, at Network (Home/Office) select Action, then select DISABLED.

3.0  On Main Screen, My Router, click on the Globe Icon Broadband Connection.
3.1  Click on top left entry in Connection Table (i.e. Network Home/Office) to get Properties Table.
3.2  Select Settings at bottom.  Edit Ip Address to 192.168.1.199 for example.
3.3  Further down screen, DISABLE Ip Distribution.
3.4  At bottom, select APPLY.

You should now be able to log out and then log back in using NEW Ip Address and old name/password to verify the new settings.
It will take a while for the router to reconfigure.
Next, connect it as a switch to new router and reestablish normal PC access to network thru new router.
Devices attached to the switch will act just as though attached to the new router.
You can access both units using their respective Ip Addresses and User/Passwords from any network connected device.

0 Likes