THird Party Router with Actiontec GT704WG
Jtheone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I have been trying to set this modem up with a router that i just got recently, Asus RT-N13U. I'm using the DD-WRT firmware with the Asus router. However I can't seem to get the Actiontec GT704WG to go into bridge mode. I have done the following and it doesn't work.

- Googled and according to Verizon the way to set the GT704WG to go into bridge mode is to set it to DCHP (http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/actiontec704wg/1237...)

- Hit the apply button, let it return me back to the screen. Closed the browser window, shut off the modem, unplug the ethernet from modem which attaches to the computer.

- Plugged the ethernet from computer into the router and then set up for PPPoE with the Verizon Username and Password, the combo works, I've tried with the modem by itself.

- Unplugged the router.

- Plugged another ethernet from the modem's LAN port to the routers WAN port.

- Turned on the Modem, waited for both the power and DSL lights to be solid, still no internet light at this point.

- Turned on the router, then waited for the modem's internet light to come on and be a solid green.

At this point I'm pretty sure it should be working, but it doesn't, there is no internet connection.

So after I turn everything off I plug my computer back into the dsl modem directly and I'm back on the internet and the modem is back on PPPoE.

Can someone tell me if i'm doing something wrong or if the GT704WG just won't let me do "brdige mode"?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: THird Party Router with Actiontec GT704WG
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I have configured an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato USB to run behind the Actiontec.  There are many methods and configurations, depending on which Verizon services you want to maintain, which router you want to run as primary, etc.  The choices run from relatively simple to overly complicated.  I chose something in the middle.  You can study the options and methods on DSL Reports (via Google).  Unfortunately the DSL Reports server is down just now, but if you try in a day or so you will find all you want to know (and much more).  Good luck.

ADDED:  I have posted two photos of this setup on the forums ("my photos" section), but I don't immediately see how to link them here, 

Jtheone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Armond,

I have been googling a lot and dslreport does seem to have all the answers, but like you said it is down at the moment. I was hoping to get this router set up this weekend while i had some time to work on it.

Are you using the Actiontec modem that I have or is it another one? I can't seem to find a way to put this thing into bridge mode, not sure if that is my only problem but at this point, trying to rule out one thing at a time.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Jtheone wrote: " ... dsl report rt does seem to have all the answers, but ... is down at the moment ... Are you using the Actiontec modem that I have or is it another one? ... "

The model I have is labeled: MI 424 WR-GEN3I (a mouthful).  I am not an expert at configuring network components, so I don't quite know what you mean by "putting into bridge mode."   I essentially left the Actiontec as primary because I want to maintain several FiOS features on the network that would otherwise be lost (particularly video streaming from various computers, caller ID, etc)..  My Asus runs as a fixed IP bridge furnishing LAN and wireless AP services, plus USB mass storage.  Hope this helps.  Aside, I notice that DSL Reports is still a bit unavailable, although it seems there are some read-only files up.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

DSLReports is back up. They completed data recovery last night however they are still working out some bugs. You should be able to find what you're looking for through a web search now.

Be aware, if your 3rd party router uses the IP address of 192.168.1.1, either your router or the ActionTec's Default Gateway IP address needs to be changed. There cannot be two routers in the same subnet attached to each other.

0 Likes