Trying to set up second Actiontec MI424WR for MoCA
ckane526

I've been struggling to figure out how to set up a second MI424WR via MoCA upstairs in my house, and have gone through several different forums seeking answers. I had a Verizon technician in today and information he provided conflicts with what I've read on these forums so I was wondering if someone could set me straight.

I have 2 MI424WRs, my original rev D in my basement which works fine, but doesn't reach our second floor, and a rev F I'm trying to set up on the second floor. The rev D connects to the internet via ethernet, and uses coax for television. I have a 5-1000mhz splitter on the second floor between a cable box and the rev F router. I have reserved up to 192.168.10 for static IPs and released the rev F of DHCP. The internet works very briefly, and very unreliably on the rev F.

So my question is this: I was told that what I want to do is not possible. The technician claimed that switching my ONT's internet to Coax would still prevent me from doing what I'm aiming for. Is this the case? His suggestion was to use the Verizon Network Range Extender WCB3000N, which from what I understand uses MoCA to function... so if that's all correct then why won't my rev F also work?? Very confusing, I appreciate any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trying to set up second Actiontec MI424WR for MoCA
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am pretty sure you can do this.  You certainly can if your internet connection is coax.  DSLREPORTS has it discussed in FIOS FAQ.

0 Likes
ckane526

Any idea as to why it's not working? I actually followed DSL Reports guide several times to no result other than an incredibly unreliable connection. Its essentially unusable. Perhaps my ONT is too old to support this? I was considering calling back Verizon to have them update my ONT and switch to Coax internet in an attempt to get this to work. I really don't want to shell out another $75 on the network extender if I can get my other router to work to better results.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT REPLACEMENT and switching to Ethernet are totally unnecessary.  The communication should be strickly over the COAX between the two routers if you configured this as DSL suggests.  You must remember to configure the second router NOT to connect to the ONT which is described in those recommendations for disabling wan access.  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Possible problems could be not disabling DHCP and WAN access on the seceond Actiontec, bad coax, and bad splitters.

0 Likes