Unable to block Netgear, please help!
deadman90

I am at my wits end. I'm not exactly an expert on networking/internet stuff, so I'm asking here. I want to temporarily block a Netgear router that sucks up my bandwidth at certain times, mainly between 8 - 12 pm.

I tried blocking the netgear's mac address, but that doesn't do anything. I'm using a Actiontec GT784WNV. The modem I had before this allowed me to disable the ethernet hard switch, rendering anything that was wired into it incapable to connecting to the internet, but we had an electrical surge last Tuesday and fried it, so we got this one from the tech guy, but I looked through all the settings and I can't do anything with the ethernet ports. If there's anything else I can try, I'd love to hear it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to block Netgear, please help!
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@deadman90 wrote:

I am at my wits end. I'm not exactly an expert on networking/internet stuff, so I'm asking here. I want to temporarily block a Netgear router that sucks up my bandwidth at certain times, mainly between 8 - 12 pm.

I tried blocking the netgear's mac address, but that doesn't do anything. I'm using a Actiontec GT784WNV. The modem I had before this allowed me to disable the ethernet hard switch, rendering anything that was wired into it incapable to connecting to the internet, but we had an electrical surge last Tuesday and fried it, so we got this one from the tech guy, but I looked through all the settings and I can't do anything with the ethernet ports. If there's anything else I can try, I'd love to hear it.

The GT784WNV is a dsl modem and wireless router all in one. You do not need the Netgear router.. The Actiontec should be able to block any computer you want to block.

0 Likes
Re: Unable to block Netgear, please help!
deadman90

I don't use it, another person is using it because they can't get a good signal from where they are. I only want it blocked at certain times. I've tried blocking its MAC address, only allowing my computers MAC address, and blocking its service, but I can still feel the lag it's causing from the person downloading stuff

0 Likes