need more speed to my PC
EasyRunnin

I recently upgraded to Verizon Fios.  The house has coax wiring.  As part of the install they put an Actiontec MI424WR router in the upstairs office and a Cisco CHS435HDC DVR downstairs in the family.  As far as I can tell everything was working fine.

I started thinking now that I have hi speed internet maybe I should check out Pandora, Netflix and whatever else is available through my TV and AV receiver.  Since I had a wireless card lying around, I pop that into my computer. With the router next to the PC, the speed was fine.  When I moved the router down stairs the speed on the PC dropped significantly.  It’s never more than 7Mbps and it’s usually around 3 or 4 Mbps.  Up load speed are just under 5Mbps.  I tried every coax connection in the house and had similar results.  I also notice that the MoCA light in the ONT is flashing.

What do I need to do to get the 15Mbps as advertised on my computer and at the same time have access to Pandora and Netflix and similar items on my TV and receiver?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: need more speed to my PC
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you're hardwired into the router, do you still get your speed? The MoCa light may be blinking to indicate traffic on the MoCa WAN, not that there is a true problem with the connection. If the speeds are fine while connected directly to the router, we can see how to proceed with solving this problem.

EasyRunnin

Yes, when the PC is hard wired into the router the speed is good.

0 Likes
EasyRunnin

I also moved the computer down to the family room to see if the speed improved.  It worked very well when it was near the router.  So I figure the wiring is fine and that it is a WiFi issue.  Is there a relative easy and economical way to improve the speed up in the office?

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@EasyRunnin wrote:

I also moved the computer down to the family room to see if the speed improved.  It worked very well when it was near the router.  So I figure the wiring is fine and that it is a WiFi issue.  Is there a relative easy and economical way to improve the speed up in the office?

You might want to investigate HomePNA powerline networking. This uses your home's existing in-wall electrical cabling to create a network. You can buy a two-piece transmitter/receiver kit for around $70. Plug one side in near the router in the family room, and the other side upstairs near the desktop computer. That should deliver full Ethernet speed--much faster than Wi-Fi--with no need to run new Ethernet cabling.