Adding a phone jack to existing line
dmilli88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm finishing our basement and want to add a phone jack for our existing line. Our Fios box is in the basement and there is currently one connection that runs from the box through the ceiling to the rest of the house. Is there a way to connect the basement line directly to the box or do I need to split from the line that goes upstairs?

0 Likes
Re: Adding a phone jack to existing line - The Easy Way
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@dmilli88 wrote:

... want to add a phone jack for our existing line. Our Fios box is in the basement and there is currently one connection that runs from the box through the ceiling to the rest of the house. Is there a way to connect the basement line directly to the box or do I need to split from the line that goes upstairs?

Any simple and inexpensive phone line splitter will do the job.  E.g.,

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=52N9456&CMP=KNC-GPLA&mckv=EqUMbbce|pcrid|2011...

There are more complicated methods, but in your case simpler is likely better.  It would be nice if you had the ability to make your own custom phone patch cords.  However this route requires a spool of phone wire, a box of RJ 11 connectors, and a fairly expensive crimp tool that will probably not get much use.

As an example of what's possible, here's a photo of my rig:

As you can see, being anal has at least a few advantages.  Good luck and report back if there are further issues.