Automated Voice Menu Hell
Sloof

Whenever I make a call, or recieve one, and get an automated menu system or automated voice message, and I go to hang up it WILL NOT disconnect! I hang up and within a second my phone rings and it's whatever goddamn automated voice menu still blabbing away! The only way to clear my line and disconnect from an automated menu is If I press the the hang-up/end/flash enough times quick enough and get a dial tone and make a call. Otherwise my phone will ring the second I hang up, even if I managed to get a dial tone before I physically hang the phone up. When I hang my phone up, that's it, the {word filter avoidance} call and conversation is over and done. I don't expect my phone line to be tied up trying to disconnect from an automated call and either having to make call out or wait until whatever automated menu system to end itself and release my line. I've complained about this to Verizon before and it went nowhere with no solution. Anyone else have this problem and is there a way to stop this **bleep**?

0 Likes
Re: Automated Voice Menu Hell
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Sloof wrote:

Whenever I ... get an automated menu system or automated voice message, and I go to hang up it WILL NOT disconnect! ... within a second my phone rings ... I've complained about this to Verizon before and it went nowhere ... Anyone else have this problem and is there a way to stop this ...

The reason "it went nowhere" with Verizon is that this is not related to the Verizon network.  This situation has happened to me on every telco system I've used in the last decade, including ATT Callvantage, Verizon POTS, Vonage, and ATT.  I've no idea what causes it, and no idea how one might avoid it, but that's beside the point.  It doesn't happen very often these days using VZ Digital Voice, but when it does occur it seems to be related to how quickly I've hung up on the incoming call (believe it or not).  Good luck.

Re: Automated Voice Menu Hell
tns
Master - Level 2

Fast hangups are flashes.  Flash button's originally did the same thing.  And with many phones will do things like activate three party calling.

Not sure why a true hangup doesn't always work(except for FDV screening described later).  Usually works for me.  FDV messaging may pickup the call.  If you have the option set to SCREEn, you will hear that message blabbing away.  I turned the screening off.  Have my own answering machine/phone setup to pick up fast, and FDV messaging set to pickup late(so will normally never pickup).

PS: note that voice mail screening will ring your phone (again) which may be what you are describing.

Voice Mail Screening 
Missed the call but want to hear the message while it’s being left? No problem – activate this service & each caller leaving a message will ring your phone. When you pick up you’ll be able to listen to the message while it’s being left and even be connected to the caller if you’d like.
0 Likes