Battery backup warning
smith1745

I was getting a periodic beep from he FIOS interface.  I discovered a red light indicating that the back up battery needed to be replaced. Can you believe that Verizon expected me to replace it. I think the battery backup is a fundamental part of the FIOS interface and Verizon should maintain it. IF Verizon will not maintain the interface to my house, I'll drop FIOS service.

Versizon's service is unacceptable.

0 Likes
Re: Battery backup warning
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This was a known fact throughout the Internet community when getting FiOS service, and I believe asking the techs who install service would give you the same answer that Verizon basically did. The battery backup is only needed if you want to have phone service while the ONT is without power, as keep in mind, TV and Internet will stop working shortly after the ONT loses power.

I don't see what the problem is though, as you cannot expect Verizon to replace the battery all the time, though you may be lucky and be able to get at least one from them. They are what, $20-30 and last for 4 or so years before needing to be replaced due to natural aging? I don't see the battery as a reason to replace FiOS with another product honestly. Verizon was kind enough to provide a battery in the first place, probably to keep in line with their POTS service (Which does run off of battery when the power's out if you're on a remote). The cable company in my area doesn't even provide battery backups, meaning you'll be supplying your own UPS to run their modem and hoping their network is online at the time. Cell phone service cannot be relied on all the time, as keep in mind, it's wireless, and the POTS network while stable, is essentially running on battery power if you're out of a remote, which you're indirectly paying for to replace every X amount of years. Cell phones, you're responsible for the battery and replacements of them when their capacity dimishes.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
16.95 at www.batterymart.com. Cheapest I've found them. But I do remember when I did my fios activation that there was a term of service that I had to check that I agree and they even went si far as to take its paragraph and separate it so I would be aware. If you zipped through the tow agreements then the battery will be a surprise.

As a side note I have an elderly friend that subscribes to premium tech support and they will give her that free as part if that service as long as she has the plan.
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The battery in the BBU is defined as a "User Serviceable Part" and is disclosed as such in the contract you receive as part of your Verizon FiOS service.  This question has been asked a number of times on the forums and answered the same each time.   

It's a battery -- less than $20 at just about any battery supply warehouse.  Verizon will charge you $50 for it which is absolutely not necessary to pay.  It's not required for the service to operate, but does allow the service to continue to operate if you lose power to your home.   If you have a whole house UPS or alternative power source or a local UPS supplying power to the unit, there is no need for the secondary battery.

GaryG

I thought the reason for the battery was to maintain emergency phone service during power outages like you have phone service over the copper lines. I know when other cable companies got into the VOIP business, they started using modems that contained battery backups to maintain phone service during power outages. As such, the battery is really an integral part of the phone system providing phone service during power outages.

0 Likes
loulou0304

As soon as we lose power I have no phone . Verizon: "Not all phone systems are compatible." Great so i had to buy a new battery to stop the incessant beeping and IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you remove AC Power from the ONT, does the ONT itself remain powered on through the battery or no? If you have a Multimeter, does the battery show a DC Voltage? Are these Cordless phones you're using or no?

nesbitt1

Where exactly on the battery mart site is the battery for the unit?  I can't find it........

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

12 Volt 7 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery - F2 Terminal   is what you are looking for, BUT, I think it may be cheaper on amazon.com 

0 Likes