Call from myself??
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

I have Verizon FiOS digital voice phone service.  It is configured to send me an email whenever I get a call.  When I got out of the shower this morning and sat down at my computer, there was an email in my inbox showing a call from my home phone to my home phone!  The name and number were also displayed on the caller ID box attached to the phone line.

I was in the shower at the time indicated for the call, and I don't have any devices attached to the line that could have made the call.  I'm also reasonably certain there was no one in the house at the time except for my cat, and I've never seen him take any interest in the phones before.  What could have caused this?

0 Likes
Re: Call from myself??
weecosse

I  had the same problem today on my land-line and just found out that my daughter-ib-lawe received a call today from her land-line too.  I am trying to contact Verizon to ask if they know what is going on.  When I get a response I'll contact you here and post it on the forum too.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

I suspect this may have been those nasty telemarketers who routinely spoof caller ID -- even thought it's illegal.  They called your number and spoofed the caller ID to reflect your own information.

0 Likes
smajock

Ronzie, I just talked to Verizon.  They have been receiving reports for the past couple of weeks from other users about this problem.  Like PJL states, their technicians have found out that some folks are spoofing land-line numbers and at this time Verizon can't do anything about it.  Verizon told me that I could; call their Nuisance Call number; (800) 257-2960 and talk to them about what can be tried; add call blocking to my account.

Verizon support, (800) 553-1555. Select 2 then 4 and then 0 to talk to a support technician.

0 Likes