Can I get rid of my battery back up unit altogether?
michael812
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not having problems with my battery, but I want to get rid of it.  Not just the battery, but the huge box which houses it as well.   As I don't have voice it's doing nothing for me, except taking up space.

As far as I can tell, at the least this would require me to get a new cable to plug the ONT directly in the wall.  My ONT model is I-211M-K.

Help greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Can I get rid of my battery back up unit altogether?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally speaking, no, you can't get rid of the box.  It's part of the power system for the ONT.

If you're an engineer / tinker, you might be able to coble together something that can provide the proper signals to the ONT.  It would also need to have the proper communication to tell the ONT the power system is okay, otherwise the ONT will signal problems locally and to Verizon.

It would be a major effort to duplicate the functions of the power supply.   Not to mention Verizon won't like any changes you make should you ever need their help. You're better off finding a way to hide it.

Have fun.

michael812
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.

I am not an engineer, or much of a tinkerer.  But if someone out there would like to help me (for a fee), please let me know.

One alternative possibility: can I replace the ONT with another one (perhaps from some third party supplier) which does not have battery back up?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONTs are unfortunately specific to Verizon. Verizon won't be able to provision a third party ONT, both because of the fact that the fiber is transmitting encrypted data in both directions and because the systems wouldn't have support for other ONTs. You can use your own FIber gear only if you pay for a very expensive Metro Ethernet "Enterprise" connection. Even then you're looking at hundreds to thousands of dollars for a Multimode Fiber Transceiver (although the fiber itself is reasonably cheap!). Third, while Fiber is generally terminated with easy to connect/disconnect plugs, they are very easy to scuff and damage. You don't want that on Fiber since cleaning fiber can be a pain.

You could ask Verizon for a new BBU or ONT. They may have something which suits you in stock.

0 Likes