Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle battery..)
Mysticinva50
Enthusiast - Level 2

(I don't even have FiOS Digital Voice service anyway...so I don't care if the battery dies I will just take it out...I see no reason to buy a battery (at my expense ) for a service I don't have. 

I also don't see why I need to buy a battery for Verizon's Equipment that I am renting..Because if I buy the battery it becomes my property...and I can therefore take it with me when I leave the premises)

0 Likes
Re: Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle battery.
prisaz
Legend

@Mysticinva50 wrote:

(I don't even have FiOS Digital Voice service anyway...so I don't care if the battery dies I will just take it out...I see no reason to buy a battery (at my expense ) for a service I don't have. 

I also don't see why I need to buy a battery for Verizon's Equipment that I am renting..Because if I buy the battery it becomes my property...and I can therefore take it with me when I leave the premises)

Not quite the same as a motorcycle battery. Depending on the size of your bike. Batteries plus has local stors in many areas, and I have seen the priced $35-$40. There are differend AH values you can get that are the same size. But you must replace it with at least the size provided.

1. The battery is used by the ONT to store diagnostic and other data for the fiber services, and not just keep the phone alive. So if you start having service issues and lose power all of the information that could help maintain the system at your location will be gone.  

2. I suppose if you did unhook the battery, you would get the annoying alarm. If you purchase a battery, I suppose there is no way for anyone to tell if you put the old one back. Look at it this way, if you lease a car, you are still expected to maintain the brakes, and replace the oil during the lease period, and possibly the battery. So look at the ONT as leasing a car.

The battery issue has been discussed at length in this community.

Here is a search of the Community for the word Battery, and you will see it comes up over 300 times.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=battery#/?page=1&q=battery&search_type=...

0 Likes
Re: Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle batt
Mysticinva50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ahhhh...but I am buying a service NOT leasing their equipment...their equipment is a necessary part of Verizon providing the service...and if their equipment fails then the service I am paying for cannot be delivered.  I am not responsible for maintaining their equipment so that they can provide the service for which they are contracted to provide in return for my monthly fee.

The comparison to a leased motor vehicle is admirable but I am  purchasing a service...not a tangible product, and a key component to Verizon being able to provide that service is the equipment that they require to deliver the service ...

Going back to the vehicle lease for a moment...Imagine leasing a car and then being told you have to buy an engine so it can go.....That's the true comparison

And if the ONT fails...then Verizon will be required to attend and rectify it to provide once again my internet service...as for loss of Data...it is Verizon's data that will be lost, nothing inside my computer will be affected by a lack of or failing of, the inernet provided.

But thanks for the info...battery is on charge, and alarm is silenced..Verizon only seem concerned they cannot collect the data they are obviously collecting...on a side note...when it was installed the MyVerizon.exe the tech put in my computer was immediately shut down by anit-virus as it contained Trojans...and I firmly told him to remove it from my computer and not install anything...( he wasn't the slightest bit concerned that he was attempting to infect my computer and the call centre wasn't interested at all that other customers were going to be infected by the seame memory stick he was using for the install...niiice...that says a lot

0 Likes
Re: Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle batt
prisaz
Legend

Ok everyone has their opinion on the battery. I have had FiOS since 2005, and at about the halfway point my ONT was upgraded for faster speeds. So the battery and power supply was replaced at that time, So it is about time mine goes out, and I suspect I will buy one like most have had to do. I hope I get a few more years out of it, or it lasts forever, but not likely. Good luck with your battery and sorry for the frustration. I'm just another customer with an opinion, and have read stories over and over, about the battery.Smiley Wink

If the tech was carrying a USB memory stick from customer to customer, SHAME ON HIM. An install of the Verizon in home agent or other software should come from a CD or DVD. One is shipped with every router if you desire to install their software, which is not a requirement. We both know USB memory can carry something like spyware or viruses real easy from a PC to PC. Like a floppy. Thank goodness floppy drives went away. If he was using your computer to configure and setup the connection for the ONT, that should not happen in my opinion. They should have their own laptop. I don't want anyone at my PC. Let me know what you want done at my PC, how it should be configured, and I will make it ready. You get your end ready. IMHO

0 Likes
Re: Battery in the FiOS BBU - Replacement Procedure
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Mysticinva50 wrote:

.. I am buying a service NOT leasing their equipment ... I am not responsible for maintaining their equipment ... if the ONT fails...then Verizon will be required to attend and rectify it ...

Semantics aside, failure  of the ONT battery is not classified as "ONT failure."  In similar consumer transactions, users are responsible for disposable components, and the battery in question is disposable.  If you want the ONT battery replaced you will have to do it.  This is clearly stated in the VZ TOS, to wit:

http://www.verizon.com/battery

When your remote control batteries expire, please don't spend time waiting for VZ to ship packages of AA batteries.  It's just not in the cards.
prisaz
Legend

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@Mysticinva50 wrote:

.. I am buying a service NOT leasing their equipment ... I am not responsible for maintaining their equipment ... if the ONT fails...then Verizon will be required to attend and rectify it ...

Semantics aside, failure  of the ONT battery is not classified as "ONT failure."  In similar consumer transactions, users are responsible for disposable components, and the battery in question is disposable.  If you want the ONT battery replaced you will have to do it.  This is clearly stated in the VZ TOS, to wit:

http://www.verizon.com/battery

When your remote control batteries expire, please don't spend time waiting for VZ to ship packages of AA batteries.  It's just not in the cards.

Thanks I was not aware of that page. Kudos go out to you!

0 Likes
Mysticinva50
Enthusiast - Level 2

As the TOS states...

"The Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT) Battery Backup Unit (BBU) provides backup power for your FiOS voice services, including Emergency-911 for up to 8 hours in the event of a commercial power failure."

I do not have this service, and the equipment wont be damaged by leakage from the battery...the battery is no longer in the equipment...

Problem Solved.

0 Likes
Sepulturagabe

Hello everyone...

Did you all forget the original question????

CAN THE BBU (BATTERY) BE RECHARGED FOR THE ONT????

I'm totally with the person who asked the question, who care about the info that could be lost or what info verizon tries to collect? the issue here is that Battery is there to supply power to the PHONE LINE if you ever have a power outage!!! All Batteries are rechargeable except Lithiums I believe (different issue) my question is why do the tech guys install the battery in the first place to the ONT unit if it runs regularly with the power supplied during normal service, the battery is supposed to last 1 year my freaking lasted 2 months, so they gave me a cheap used battery or by installing it and having it running during NO NEED TIME the ONT unit obviously drains an extreme amount of juice from the BBU when we dont have to use it!!! Have any of you removed the BBU from the unit and set the ONT to not make the alarm sound and simply save the BBU until you actually have a power outage and NEED of the BBU???

I love Verizon dont get me wrong but you have to remember they are a sibling of PACIFIC BELL remember that phone company before the government tore them apart, they are all the same it's they've come along way with technology but they have to make it up thru MONEY... so we will always end up paying for it one way or another.

I still want to know if this battery can be recharged, I couldnt even get anyone to help me with the drained battery replacement until after the 1 year warranty passed (of course) I need to buy one, and the stupid we will replace it always if you buy the Backup and Protection plan???? I have my own separate external Hard Drives were I have my nieces HP Pavillion 7 laptop and my Cyberpower gaming pc backed up...

I'm taking my battery to a car battery co. down the street here in Norwalk Ca. and will check to see if they can charge it for a fee or if they sell them there themselves (I doubt that) but if if cant i will buy a new battery and simply leave it out of the ONT unit.

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE MEANING OF "SERVICE" NOW A DAYS IS LIKE THE COLOR SPECTRUM IS VARY'S FROM POLE TO POLE DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU PAY

0 Likes
Re: Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle battery..)
Randomwiz

The battery is clearly to be replaced by owners. Yes, it is a revenue generation gimmick. You need the backup battery to have your internet working in case of an outage. You might have an alternative use of internet from your cellphone and not need it at all. The battery will auto recharge (if installed correctly) 'x' number of times after draining during power outages. Once it is spent, it cannot be recharged. Has to be replaced. You can get similar ones outside verizon for $17. Here are three links-  to stop the beep without replacing battery, low cost battery replacement, & reading to clarify battery issues. 

Stop the beep: https://youtu.be/pxoDs9hjvV4

Low cost battery replacement: https://youtu.be/AcoFpVWni5k

Battery clarification: https://stopthecap.com/2013/05/13/verizon-fios-beeping-batteries-are-your-problem-44-from-verizon-18...

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Re: Can I re-charge the Battery in the FiOS BBU (after all it is basically a 12v Motorcycle battery..)
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes