Dial Tone but phone doesn't ring and answering machine doesn't pick-up
debvhm

Service technician was out 2 weeks ago and advised it was the phone that didn't work. We took the phone (Panasonic Cordless with answering machine) to our vacation home last week and it worked fine.  Brought it back home, it doesn't work. 

Anything I find online when researching this problem indicates it's either a voltage issue or a problem with the lines at the pole. Our old (20+ year phone - not cordless) will ring when connected to the phone line but the Panasonic doesn't.

0 Likes
Re: Dial Tone but phone doesn't ring and answering machine doesn't pick-up
debvhm

THIS IS AN UPDATE! Another technician was out today. When I scheduled appt. customer service said it would be an outside call - fix was needed at the pole not in the house. Technician showed up and said the problem was in the house. Spent 10 minutes at most and announced that it was a problem with the phone. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE.  THE PHONE WORKS FINE AT OUR SECOND HOUSE. Called Verizon Customer Service back TWO TIMES TODAY AND WAS DISCONNECTED TWO TIMES. I am ready to switch account to Comcast. Never thought I would say that!!!

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi debvhm,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

debvhm,

We've had to close your private support case due to non-response. If you still require assistance, please create a public posting in this thread.

Thank you,

Art

0 Likes
FloridaFiOS2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem since yesterday. A VERY short, single ring on SOME calls. I can place calls without any issue and when I tested the line by calling with my own cell, it rang without any issues - so it's obviously not my home-wiring.

I also disabled ALL calling features online, so that's not the reason, either. I suspect Verizon has some technical issue.

0 Likes
debvhm

Sounds like the same problem.  Verizon has sent 4 different techs out and spent several hours trying to fix the issue -- nothing has worked.  We took the phone to our vacation home and it worked fine there so we brought the one that was at the vacation home back and plugged it in. So far, it's working fine.  It's a Uniden - at least 5 years old. The other one is Panasonic - less than a year old.  Worked for about 6 months before we started having problems but it works fine at the other house so it isn't a phone issue.  Good luck.

0 Likes
debvhm

Thanks Art.  Problem was never fixed but the techs certainly tried.  Spent several hours over 4 different trips but couldn't figure out the problem. Since the phone (Panasonic) works fine at our vacation home, we swapped it out with the older Uniden phone we have there and so far the Uniden phone is working fine.  But then again, the Pansonic worked fine for awhile.  Hopefully, we won't have any other issues.  Very frustrating for all but I thank Verizon for trying many different avenues to try to fix the problem.

0 Likes
Daver1723

Hello,

I just read your telephone problem (albeit from 2 years ago) about only getting a very SHORT single ring on your phone..  I am having hte exact same issue on our cordless phones at home.  Did you ever resolve the issue?

Thank you in advance.

Dave

0 Likes
debvhm

Hi Dave,

I give Verizon credit for trying to fix the problem but they were never able to.  The phone that was causing the problem was a Panasonic - relatively new.  We took the phone to our vacation home (different phone service) and it worked fine there. We brought the older phone home and it worked fine on the Verizon line.  My feeling is there wasn't enough incoming "voltage" to get the phone to ring properly. With the older phone, no problem.  The Panasonic phone works beautifully at the vacation home.  Verizon did try to blame the phone which obviously wasn't the issue.  But like I said, they were out to our house 3 different times, testing incomint signal and working out at the pole.  Nothing solved the problem.  Good luck. It's very frustrating.  

Deb

0 Likes
vmclark

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Verizon closed my first ticket without any notice. I just now open a second ticket. 

The problem is this. The ringing voltage - Using a voltohm meter I checked it at 23volts, when someone calls.

It should be around 90 volts.

People can call me, and if I know the exact time they call , I can answer the phone.  No ringing though.

0 Likes