Dial-up Modem w/Digital Voice
TwinBing
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can a dial-up modem be used with FiOS Digital Voice?  I support a number of remove locations across the country that only have dial-up access (via pcAnywhere).  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Dial-up Modem w/Digital Voice
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

TwinBing,

There should not be  an issue with the dial-up modem.  We have customer's that use fax machines that use the dialtone and they have no problems.  If you need addidtional assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
CKeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

Shouldn't be a problem. My DishNetwork DVR calls home every night using dial-up over FIOS, same goes for my Ceiva digital picture frame. After switching from DSL to FIOS, I established a modem connection using an USR Sportster 56K modem, which quickly established a 48kbit/sec (or so it said) connection. Before that, I never got connection rates better than 24kbit/sec, due to the age of the copper wiring in our area.

0 Likes
gccradioscience1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wish that someone in the engineering department would come up with a hi capacity battery solution that would make the 8 hour battery last longer to maybe up to a week, because that's when power outages do happen unless it was a major disaster such as tornado, hurricane.  I am very disappointed that FiOS cannot come out with a 4G/FiOS router device that can switch between the 2 services when the power is out.     When I get my USB dial up modem I cannot wait to try it out with another ISP just to make sure I am ready when the power is out during next year's summer weather and these strange storms such as Sandy.   

Using the USB dial up @56k modem via digital voice will only last 8 hours which I am going only going to use it for about 3 hours to get get the information I need.  But like I said We need a 4G/FiOS wireless router that switches automatically to 2G/3G/4G/ when the power is out and the router runs on a battery as well and when the power comes back on then it comes back to FiOS.   And we should be able to get a discount and have it part of the bundle.  

Adam E. 

Virginia Beach, VA 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

gccradioscience,

Yes, it would be nice to have a higher capacity battery but honestly it would require a larger battery pack.

There is nothing stopping you from getting your own backup solution (UPS, Generator, etc).  My area was hit hard by the storm and I have to tell you that we have generators and those with Cable TV do NOT have TV/Internet/Phone and those with FIOS have all three.  So KUDOS to FIOS for keeping the system up and running!!!

Jim

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Newer model ont's MAY be more power efficient.  My phone service stayed up  over 24 hrs (with minimum use of the phone).

0 Likes
G00ch

I am having a problem with a Dial backyp modem on my router, used when my connection is not there, It remaied up for 7-8 hours then dropped and did not reconnect, is it possible the problem is within the NID(Network Interface Device)? since it is not proviging the actual dialton voltage from a Central office.

0 Likes