Digital Voice Home Security Application
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I am currently using a separate POTS line for my home alarm system.  This line allows the alarm system to "seize" the telephone line when making an outgoing call to the alarm company.  Is it possible to get the same functionality using a VZ Digital Voice (aka Verizon FiOS VoIP) line?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Digital Voice Home Security Application
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:

I am currently using a separate POTS line for my home alarm system.  This line allows the alarm system to "seize" the telephone line when making an outgoing call to the alarm company.  Is it possible to get the same functionality using a VZ Digital Voice (aka Verizon FiOS VoIP) line? ...

I have completed the alarm wiring installation and the VZ Digital Voice Line works properly for alarm applications.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:

I am currently using a separate POTS line for my home alarm system.  This line allows the alarm system to "seize" the telephone line when making an outgoing call to the alarm company.  Is it possible to get the same functionality using a VZ Digital Voice (aka Verizon FiOS VoIP) line? ...

I have completed the alarm wiring installation and the VZ Digital Voice Line works properly for alarm applications.

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry for the delay. Older alarm systems/panels do not support digital lines because they require a higher voltage on the line. As long the alarm system is "Digital Phone Service Compatible" , there will not be any problems. Enjoy the service!

0 Likes
Re: Digital Voice Home Security Application - Update
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:

... completed the alarm wiring installation and the VZ Digital Voice Line works properly ...

It happens that this subject still causes confusion.  I spoke with an alarm system professional who told me in no uncertain terms that VZ Digital Voice and alarm systems Contact ID calling do not mix.  However it seems that the opposite is the case.  Alarm systems that use "Contact ID" to dial out to monitoring stations do indeed work properly with VZ Digital Voice.  Just thought I'd put this subject to bed (for the moment, at least).

0 Likes