Extreme static on phone line
Lusyydia

Hello,

Haaa, I'm getting very tired of this, but it's another problem with my phone line. It began yesterday morning or the night before. Suddenly there was nothing but static on our phone line. We can dial just fine, and even receive calls (or at least, it rings) but the static is so extreme that the dial tone as well as anyone who might want to speak to us is not all audible.

I tried unplugging the phone and the internet, plugged it back in,  one by one, the static does not go away. We just had a technician here a short while ago who fixed everything and pretty much replaced all our wiring here. This is a new problem which needs to be fixed immediately.

If anyone from the customer support is around, please look into this.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Extreme static on phone line
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lusyydia,

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
Lusyydia

Thank you for the reminder. I feel informed.

Anyway, I tried to use the so-called "troubleshooter" and that thing just stops in the middle of the network diagnosis without result.

Had it running while typing this message and it stopped in the middle without result, as mentioned before. I'm not even getting to the part where I could eventually set up a repair request.

In the meantime, my father, currently residing in europe, worries himself to death because he can't get through on the telephone. And we have no means to contact him other than our landline... which - as mentioned before, is besieged by noise and static.  My partner tries to call me and gets nothing but static as well, wondering if something is wrong at the house.

I just unplugged the telephone, which is the only device connected to the line, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. No result. Same static. The phone is brand new too and worked splendidly just 2 days ago.

So -

Telephone is fine

Technician was here just recently and replaced the wall jack, some wiring, disconnected a rotten connection we didn't even knew existed and apparently fixed everything.

Extreme static and noice on calls.

I'm very sorry if that sounds a bit snarky. I do not wish to attack anyone. I just want this fixed so that people don't worry about our well-being.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey, be snarky all you want.  But know that when you post here, you're primarily talking to other customers.  We can offer helpful advice, but ultimately you'll need to contact Verizon directly to get them to fix their problem.

If you can't call them from your phone, use a neighbor's phone, a cell phone or any other working phone you can access.

As far as helpful advise, the best I can offer is to check your line at the Network Interface Device (NID).  This is a box where the Verizon wires are connected to your wires and serves as the legal demarcation point between yours and their wires.  If your home has a modern NID, you should be able to unplug the interior wiring and plug in a phone.  If the phone works fine, the problem is in your inside wires.  If it doesn't work, then it's Verizon's problem.

Here's one of several Verizon web pages that explain this process:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/general+support/phone+troubleshooting/cal...

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Lusyydia

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have no access to the NID in our house. It's a four floor apartment building with around 50 units. There is a giant box in the laundry room, with around a million wires going in and out, but no visible jack to plug my phone in ( I checked.)

Thanks anyway. That's at least helpful. I just don't get why Live chat is available for internet problems, but not for phone problems. I had better results when chatting with a representative instead of talking with them on the phone.

*frustrated*

Anyway - Have a nice day and thank you again for your advice.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

call {edited} to get the C/s,   do not follow any direction,  when you get C/s,  request to forward all incoming calls to your cell phone,  until the Landline phone is fixed.  Good Luck

0 Likes