FIOS Digital Phone and ONT RJ-11 jack question ---> should I hear a dial tone?
brauh01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can anyone confirm or deny if I should here a dial tone when plugged into the RJ-11 (ordinary phone jack) socket that's part of the ONT?   I have no dial tone at the jack. 

I had thought that in the event of a loss of power, if I supplied power to the ONT, I would have a dial tone.  As it turns out, I have no dial tone at all, even with the restoration of utility provided power.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Digital Phone and ONT RJ-11 jack question ---> should I hear a dial tone?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you should get dial tone from the ONT jack.

Many ONTs have two or more phone jacks.  Make sure you're using the right one.  It'll be the one that has wires installed in the connector below the jack.

The ONT jack is a not a normal phone jack.  When you plug in a phone, it disconnects the feed to the house.  This allows easy isolation of phone line issues.

Check the status lights on the ONT, those will tell you if it is communicating with the central office.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Re: FIOS Digital Phone and ONT RJ-11 jack question ---> should I hear a dial tone?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you should get dial tone from the ONT jack.

Many ONTs have two or more phone jacks.  Make sure you're using the right one.  It'll be the one that has wires installed in the connector below the jack.

The ONT jack is a not a normal phone jack.  When you plug in a phone, it disconnects the feed to the house.  This allows easy isolation of phone line issues.

Check the status lights on the ONT, those will tell you if it is communicating with the central office.

Good Luck.

brauh01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your help.  Your feedback led to take "yet another look".   I was not using the correct input jack.

Thanks again!

Bill

0 Likes