Getting Bombarded by Telemarketers and Toll-Free Numbers
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, let's start from the beginning:

Preface, we have had the same cell phone numbers for over 10 years and we have not had one telemarketing or unwanted call.

We started with Verizon Digital Voice on August 26th. By September 1st, we got our first telemarketing call. By September 15th, we had enough telemarketing calls to demand a phone number change.

When we got a new number, we demanded that the phone number be non-published (which the first number was supposed to be). We also received asistance with Incoming Call Block. We thought the issue was resolved. Dead Wrong.

To bring things to a head, we are getting cushed by toll-free numbers and telemarketers. Here are the phone numbers that are currently in our Incoming Call Block list: (800) 238-3770    (800) 477-6441    (800) 715-6478    (800) 726-9594    (800) 727-1182    (800) 978-7819    (866) 265-5945    (866) 759-8002    (888) 277-8353    (888) 688-0224

Here is the problem, one of these numbers, (800) 477-6441, consistently gets through the block. I have done the following to try and resolve this issue:

- Removed the phone number and add it back in

- Forward the phone number to a Google Voice number

- Added all personal and business phone numbers to the Federal Do-Not-Call list

We are getting very annoyed with this situation and have even thought about getting something like http://www.digitone.com/ to supplement the phone service. Is there anything that we can do outside of added hardware? Does Verizon offer a way to block all toll-free numbers?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting Bombarded by Telemarketers and Toll-Free Numbers
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another Update:

It appears the Nuisance Line and the UCC are the same department. Anyway, I spoke to a very understanding woman but by the end of the call, we both pretty much knew that there was not much more that Verizon could do. The Unlawful Call Center deals primarily with threatening calls and repeat hang-up calls.

She transferred the call to tech support to see why calls that are on our Incoming Call Block log are able to bypass that and still call our home. I am now on hold with that department because the original technician is in Texas and the laws governing telemarketing calls are different in Texas than in my state.

I just got off the phone with a local technician and, bottom-line, there is supposedly nothing we can do. Based on what the technicians stated, the three phone numbers that are getting through probably originate from an overseas service. This may be how they can bypass the Verizon server. However, just like the previous call, the technician stated that there is not much that Verizon can do.

At this point, I am at my wits end. Not sure if spending $99 for the digitone device would be in our best interest based on what the local technician stated. I did not want to cancel the phone service but it looks like I may not have much choice. As I was closing tabs on my browser from all the research I did, I read the UCC description page again. This sentence stood out, "If calls of this nature are deemed excessive, and you are willing to prosecute, we will handle as an unlawful call." I call the UCC again and spoke to Kathleen. She had the notes from the previous call so I just glazed over the major points. She asked me for the phone numbers that continually call. She placed me on hold and called each number. The first two phone numbers were definitely looking for the previous owner of this phone number and promised to take our phone number off of their list within 48 hours. The third phone number was in fact a sales call.

If I could give Kudos to Kathleen I would. She really went beyond what she had to do in order to help with our situation. I will leave the Do Not Disturb function on until at least Monday to see what type of phone traffic we get. I will update this thread for those still interested.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend
don't forget to Opt out of verizon marketing too,  866 483-9700 
There isn't a lot you can do with toll free numbers unfortunately.  I am surprised those toll free's you added are in fact being blocked by verizon,  I remember reading long ago on their website that it can't block toll free numbers.   in fact the verbiage on your digitone website says 

The Original Phone Call Blocker - Block all unwanted calls with Digitone Call Blocker models that can block calls from Cell Phones, Faxes & Telemarketing Numbers 800, 866, 877, 888, 000 not blocked by the National Do Not Call registry or your Telephone Service Provider.

mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
don't forget to Opt out of verizon marketing too,  866 483-9700 
There isn't a lot you can do with toll free numbers unfortunately.  I am surprised those toll free's you added are in fact being blocked by verizon,  I remember reading long ago on their website that it can't block toll free numbers.   in fact the verbiage on your digitone website says 

The Original Phone Call Blocker - Block all unwanted calls with Digitone Call Blocker models that can block calls from Cell Phones, Faxes & Telemarketing Numbers 800, 866, 877, 888, 000 not blocked by the National Do Not Call registry or your Telephone Service Provider.

Thank you for that suggestion. I called the automated number and restricted Verizon's access. Unfortunately, it may take upwards of 30 days to take affect.

As for Digitone, I have no definitive way of determining whether or not this will actually work but I have to try. The only thing I saw was a post from someone who submitted an user review.

As for Verizon blocking toll free numbers, I am not sure what you read but thankfully, the vast majority of those numbers are getting blocked. I check my call log on a regular basis and constantly see these 12 numbers. We even debated getting rid of FiosVoice altogether but it does feel good having a landline (yes, I know this is not a traditional landline but you get the idea).

mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

An Update: We continue to get pestered with unwanted telemarketing calls. Since the Incoming Call Block log only holds up to 10 phone numbers, we really have limited options at this point.

Here are the only things we can think of doing:

- Get rid of the phone service (very likely a possibility if Verizon cannot resolve this issue)

- Get that digitone hardware I referenced in a previous post. There is no guarantee this will work and it will cost $99 just to find out.

- Get a new phone number (third number since we set up the service in late August)

- Block all but a select group of numbers using the Do Not Disturb feature

We are currently using the Do Not Disturb feature but, quite frankly, this is utterly ridiculous that we have to resort to such extreme measures just to make sure that unwanted calls are not received. If this does not work, we are pulling the plug on FiOS Voice and going back to using cell phones as our primary phones.

If anyone has any other ideas, please post them. FYI, we have already signed up for the Federal Do Not Call list as well as the Verizon Opt Out Program.

prisaz
Legend

If you spend the $99, let me know how it works out. I have the standard POTs on FiOS and did not switch to digital voice. Considering the same. I pay for 4 cell phones. Everyone has one. Last year I wanted to drop voice, but was given an offer I could not refuse. But perhaps if I just unplug at the ONT and not bother with the ETF, that too will fix my problem. But starting next month the offer I could not refuse expires, and it is back to full price. ETF for 2nd year of agreement and drop voice, or $99 for the device you mentioned. Either way I am looking to make bundle changes to keep costs down. Keep all three drop speed and tv content and unplug? That would prevent the ETF.

0 Likes
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

If you spend the $99, let me know how it works out. I have the standard POTs on FiOS and did not switch to digital voice. Considering the same. I pay for 4 cell phones. Everyone has one. Last year I wanted to drop voice, but was given an offer I could not refuse. But perhaps if I just unplug at the ONT and not bother with the ETF, that too will fix my problem. But starting next month the offer I could not refuse expires, and it is back to full price. ETF for 2nd year of agreement and drop voice, or $99 for the device you mentioned. Either way I am looking to make bundle changes to keep costs down. Keep all three drop speed and tv content and unplug? That would prevent the ETF.

Hi Prisaz. I am sorry, I have no idea what all the abbreviations mean. Just to make sure we are on the same page, the $99 reference is for the digitone call blocker that, when connected to my phone, supposedly blocks all unwanted calls. I could not find any credible reviews online.

Please understand, we are thoroughly satisfied with Verizon and their services overall. Our internet speed is far and away faster than the next closest competitor and the FiOS TV quality is phononmenal. The only major issue we have is the phone service. All we wanted from the very beginning was a brand new phone number, not a refurbished or recycled phone number. If this continues, we will have no other choice but to either spend the $99 and hope the digitone service works or get rid of the phone service altogether.

prisaz
Legend

ONT. Optical network terminal. ETF Early termination fee. I am a user just like you and looking for options to stop the annoying calls. I too looked at the device you mentioned and have considered it. I love my FiOS and have since it was first launched in my area 6+ years ago. But like I mentioned considering just unpluging my voice.

I am glad you too like the service. I have not had cable for more than 18 years and have no desire.

0 Likes
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying. Luckily for us, there is no Early Termination Fee because we are not under contract. Our complex has a terrific deal with Verizon which includes no contract. That being said, if we do decide to get the device, I will absolutely give a honest, objective review.

Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello,

Phone numbers are much like email addresses.  Once you use the phone number or email to register a product or service the recipient of that information has the ability to sell that data to marketers.  It only takes one to start the cascade effect.  You stated you have placed your numbers on the Federal Do Not Call Registry.  If you are still getting harassing calls from the same numbers you should file a complaint on the official registry website if it has been 31 days since you registered.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi MikeVZ and thank you for your response. We have already filed complaints regarding three (3) of these phone numbers. Here is the problem as I see it:

When I initially called Verizon regarding the phone service, I was very adamant about two things - (1) the number we received be brand new...not refurbished and (2) the number be unlisted. Neither request was processed. When I called to demand that we be given a new phone number and that number must be unlisted, we got half of our request. The number is unlisted but it definitely is not new.

The majority of the calls we receive are telemarketing calls but there are several calls that we receive for someone that had the phone number before us. They (presumably bill collectors) call here at all hours asking for this individual. At first we were upset but we just wrote it off. As the calls continued, we became more frustrated and eventually just added the calls to the Incoming Call Block list.

This helped for a bit but then this one phone number kept getting through. This is when I decided to post my concerns here. There are now two phone numbers that have broken through the call block feature. As an example of how bad things are now, please take a look at this uploaded screen shot:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/mphenterprisesnj/Verizon.jpg

Every single call on that call log, except for the latest call, is a telemarketer. Notice how one telemarketer tried to call seven (7) times between 10:45am and 12:15pm. This is just a small sample of the frustration that we have to deal with on a daily basis. So, with Do Not Disturb on, everything is quiet. However, as I mentioned, I think this is a horrendous way to maintain this phone service. If there is an emergency and someone has to call us that is not on the exception list, we will not get the call.

As I mentioned in my first post, in over 10 years, neither one of us has had any issue with our cell phones that can even remotely compare to this. We want to keep the FiOS Voice service but unless some drastic steps are made soon, our other options are running out. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and please provide any further information you can.