Getting Potential Virus warning when trying to install Verizon CallAssistant!
Superkitty11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just downloaded the Verizon CallAssistant client and was trying to install in on my Windows Vista system. I am also using McAfee Security Center which detects potentially unwanted or dangerous programs. When I was trying to install VCA, a message/warning popped up from my McAfee Security Center SW stating the following:

McAfee has blocked a potentially unwanted program (PUP) on your computer. If you do not recognize it, we recommend that you remove the program.

About this Potentially Unwanted Program

Name: RemAdm-PSKill

Location: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{6A2FA0AC-29F5-4B6C-BFFF-A07D5FE3CC80}\pskill.exe

Spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs can harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files.

The link took me to the following page (http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99921) describing that this may be a virus or trojan. Has anyone else encountered this? I do not want to continue unless this is safe to do and want to know why this is occurring!

Much Thanks!

Michael

0 Likes
Re: Getting Potential Virus warning when trying to install Verizon CallAssistant!
Justin46
Legend

I wish I could help but I did not experience that when I installed Call Assistant. I installed on XP, so that might be a difference. I did go look at the Call Assistant folder on my system and did not find any program with the name pskill.exe.

I suggest you call the Call Assistant Help Desk at 1-888-483-5156.

Message Edited by Justin on 09-03-2008 09:49 AM
0 Likes
Re: Getting Potential Virus warning when trying to install Verizon CallAssistant!
Superkitty11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I did that earlier today and they will call me back. I sent them the same e-mail I posted here. I do not think it is a vista vs. XP thing but perhaps McAfee is detecting something in the client. Do you use any Security software that monitors programs that are downloaded?

thx

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I use AVG Free, I had it scan the download file and it did not find any threat. I also had it scan the entire Verizon folder under Program Files and again, it did not find any threat. My anti-virus patterns are up to date, but anti-virus programs are notorious for giving different results after scanning the same files.Smiley Sad

Sorry I cannot be of more help. Good luck, my experience (2 calls) with the Call Assistant Help Desk has been outstanding, they followed up, called back, etc and fixed my problems.

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
I got the same message from Mcafee. I have gotten it on a number of download attempts from reliable sources. I disregarded the message and downloaded the call assistant program. I did a couple of follow up scans and found nothing. I do not advocate disregarding. I take my chances based on experience. If in doubt, wait until you get an answer.
0 Likes
Superkitty11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Henry - makes me feel a little better that I was not the only one! Smiley Surprised

How long have you been using VCA and no issues since? Did you try to call VZ and ask them why it popped up?

Thanks!!

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Call Assistant only beacme available to my area last week. That is when I did the download. I got the warning, and did not call. No problems or issues with my PC through today. A scheduled virus scan last night was clear.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
I forgot to add. PSKILL is a legitimate application. The reason it is targeted by some AV programs is that it can be used by some devious folks in malware. It,s the old case of a good thing being used for the wrong purpose.
0 Likes
Superkitty11
Enthusiast - Level 2
ok will download it tonight and see. feel a little bit better. Thanks
0 Likes
LiquidAg
Enthusiast - Level 2
Did you ever have any problems with this?  I am downloading the Verizon Call Assistant on a PC with Windows Vista with McAfee Anti-Virus running, and I got the exact same pop-up.  Did you choose to "Trust this program", and if so, did everything work okay after that?
0 Likes