Incoming callerid
tsdunlop

Today I received a call that showed my home number as the callerid number.  How is this possible and how do I block it?

0 Likes
Re: Incoming callerid
slynkie2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same thing happen. Your number can now be spoofed and used by bill collectors and scammers alike. I am sure you can block your own number from being used as one should never be able to call oneself on the same number being called from, if that makes any sense. It is not illegal, yet, but it should be. We all have caller ID for a reason.... now I have to let calls get screened regardless of what the "called-ID" says. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

0 Likes
tsdunlop

Unfortunately it is not against the law, yet.  IMHO, if the phone company can sell a service to someone, and that "someone" abuses it (like spoofing phone numbers), then they should give their customers a way to block the abusive caller, or give the customer a way to block it..

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@tsdunlop wrote:

Today I received a call that showed my home number as the callerid number.  How is this possible and how do I block it?

It is possible because the caller is spoofing the Caller ID information and using your own information to do it.  It's not legal but that's not stopping them.  You can't block spoofed calls because you have to block specific calls, and with Verizon digital voice you can only block a limited number of numbers.

Look into Nomorerobo.com as a POSSIBLE solution to reduce such nuisances. 

0 Likes