Re: Increase in telemarketer calls after switching to FIOS phone service
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I recently went to FiOS triple play to add FiOS TV from my FiOS double play of broadband and phone, I was forced to move from FiOS Freedom Essentials phone to FiOS Digital Voice and one of the options for DV was to have my number unlisted (there is a $5/month charge for this if I'm remembering correctly). My memory is that this option was buried a bit during the selection process and was pretty easy to miss.

Could it be that your number is now no longer unlisted? You might try Verizon Live Chat (I find that tends to be more useful than calling Verizon customer service) to have them check to see if your number is now listed--my guess is that it is. Going back to unlisted probably won't help much because your phone number is now in telemarketers' databases. Adding your number to the Do Not Call list is a complete waste of time because my number is on it and I still get tons of telemarketing calls.

One possible to solution is to change your number and request that it be unlisted and then inform anyone pertinent of your new number. Alternatively, you could buy a call blocker. They are a bit pricey at close to $100 but from reading the reviews they do the trick. Here's one that was recommended highly:

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B009RVYEZ0

0 Likes
Re: Increase in telemarketer calls after switching to FIOS phone service
mdjoey
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK just suppose customers are not that lazy, we have done ALL OF THESE THINGS.

Customers like myself get dozens of calls per week with the caller ID of =  NOT AVAILABLE. These folks are marketers, scammers and other shady characters. WHY are these not blocked?

The caller ID comes up empty when telemarketers are on the line, some at 7:00 on a Sunday morning- this is absurd that Verizon call blocking cannot block a call that has NO PHONE NUMBER! Isn't this what the service is for.

Where are the real answers?  Perhaps this is Verizon's plan- make us buy more services, or go somewhere else.

0 Likes