Re: Landline Phone service Goes Out All the Time
qdemon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that didn't last very long.  The Verizon technician showed up about 6:30 pm or so on Friday evening.  He had been called at the last minute to make sure my line had a dial tone, and was surprised to find that he line was already working.  After checking the NID, he asked if there were any other issues, but when I told him about my intermittent DSL service, he informed me that another tech would have to fix that because he was there under orders only to restore my dial tone and to sell me FIOS.  I admonished him that it was impossible to sign up if I had no telephone or Internet access.

Anyway, the line continued to work, even though my Internet speed was severely throttled, until sometime Sunday morning.  After battling with the stupid automated telephone system, I was eventually able to speak to an actual person.  "Barbara" was very professional and actually listened to my complaint.  She apologized for the service interruptions and for the questionable behavior of the other Customer Service rep who had refused to send a repairman.  She agreed that the problem with my line was clearly outside my home, and is solely Verizon's responsibility, and promised to add that information to the repair order.  The earliest available appointment for repairing the line is Thursday.  That means that I will have been completely without service for a total of at least sixteen days.

0 Likes
qdemon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, Verizon finally did repair my line.  No one came to my home but my service was restored.  That would indicate that either the problem was located somewhere else in their network (like I told them), or that Verizon deliberately interfered with my service to "entice" me to switch to their FIOS product.  Bad move, either way.

Now I have to fight with them over the bill.  They have offered a $5 credit to compensate me for being without service for half a month.  Fat chance.  This is why Verizon cannot trusted to operate without government oversight and regulation as a public utility, regardless of the state of their technology.

0 Likes
franktexas

We have had the same problem - intermittent service on our copper landline going back at least 1 year. Almost always happens after several inches of rain. Usually DSL line with Verizon still works but not always. Our area has underground phone lines and so far every time a technician comes out, the problem has been  with Verizon, not in our house wiring even though the test indicates it is in our house line. Most times, the problem corrects itself when the rain stops. Frustrating, I wish we could "schedule" a repair request ahead of time for the technician to show up when it's raining as by the time the technician shows up a week later, the problem self corrects. I have a current repair request scheduled for 12/24, (request put in 12/19 after a 3" rain),   I will likely cancel unless it rains as the line currently is working,

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

QDEMON, if you think you have FiOs in your area, you can switch your cooper line to FiOs tel. landline only, keep the old plan you have of the landline, not the FiOs plan.   only the landline,   not the FiOs pkg.  no FiOs TV and FiOs Internet..

0 Likes
qdemon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Um, what?

0 Likes
SPYDR

same problem here, was told copper line service will be in and out, when working there will be much interference. I purchased new phone because i still had internet service. Have not been able to use phone over 1 month. Verizon still billing me for phone service.  There are countless people ( 10,000 100.000 ++) ?? with same problem. N ot only this area but most likely accross the country at different times depending on location verizon change over is being done,.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello SPYDR

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes