Long Distance service removed by Verizon
cahuja
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had Verizon for over 15 yr (ISDN...FIOS, landline,...) and for the last 4+ years have had my landline long distance with telna since i mostly make international calls and the rates are much better.

Over a year ago, telna changed its PIC code and sent out notifications. Verizon didnt seem to have updated

my pic code, although as late as Dec/Jan it was still working fine, now my LD is dead ("your phone has been disconnected"). Whenever i ran into the problem i used an alternate access number and got that call done because i never had the time to traverse the long wait times that verizon has for its customer service.

A week or so ago i finally got some time to pusue this matter and called Verizon. The very first person i talked to understood the problem right away and even told me what the current PIC code was on my account and that i needed to check with the LD company of why service was not working. I called them and they said the PIC code was wrong and they would send a message to verizon to get it rectified.

Today, i called them and they said they had not received a reply from Verizon and i would need to call myself. I called verizon and between an automated system trying to test my line and diagnose the problem and 2 other people who wanted to sell me Verizon LD, i finally got to someone who understood the problem and seemed to have the ability to change the PIC code, however she could not do it without getting confirmation from the LD company. so i put her on speaker and called them on the cell phone and seemed to reach them just as they left for the day.  Total of 1.5 hr.

Net:  After 1+ hr of traversing around Verizon's menu and transfer to 4 different people (and of course the web 'repair service ticket" system which is returning an oops page) I cannot get Verizon to set my PIC code to what it should have been for the last yr or more (since the LD company phased out the old code at that time). 0444.

Seems if i have to do this again, i might be better off jumping on the digital phone bndwagon and getting someone like Vonage and switching out of FIOS as well. Verizon's customer service is pretty much bottom of the heap given the advancements other telcos have made in becoming responsive over the same period of time.

Another thing that troubles me is that there is no way to shut off the annoying "beep" that the FIOS unit makes once the battery goes dead and it does in about 6 months. Besides the battery does not backup  the FIOS system, only the digital phone circuit if you have that service. The battery costs ~70/- each time and i have given up since its in a small office that no one uses as much anyway - but **bleep** - why distribute equipment where you have components that are unused and the component alarm cannot be silenced ?

Edit: Looking on verizon site, looks like the battery is 34.99 now. Been a few years since i replaced it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Long Distance service removed by Verizon
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We were able to fix this problem for you! We had to place an order to change the PIC numbers that were associated with your long distance carrier.  I am going to go ahead and close your private support case with a resolution. Thank you so much for working with us and being patient while we saw this issue through to a resolution.

Have a great weekend,

-Rachel

View solution in original post

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi cahuja,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We were able to fix this problem for you! We had to place an order to change the PIC numbers that were associated with your long distance carrier.  I am going to go ahead and close your private support case with a resolution. Thank you so much for working with us and being patient while we saw this issue through to a resolution.

Have a great weekend,

-Rachel