My Caller ID shows my own name and my own phone number.
disabled1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The caller ID on my phone shows my own telephone number and my own name, when the phone rings.

I am sure I did not call myself.

I am worried that those who do this can call Verzon as Verizon uses the phone number to retrieve the records and so do the credit card companies.

Shouldn't Verzon look into this and bring the culprits to justice?

0 Likes
Re: My Caller ID shows my own name and my own phone number.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, you're talking to other customers here.  If you want answers from Verizon, use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

CallerID spoofing is quite easy to do these days.  This stems from the simple fact that CallerID was developed when all elements of the phone system were under control of trusted entities.  With the advent of VoIP, that has changed.   VoIP allows anyone with the right known how to initiate calls with any CallerID they want.  There is no one simple fix due to the complexity of the telephone system and the fixes that could be applied require lots of resources (read money).  it's unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.

You are correct that spoofing can be used confuse some autmoated systems.  Know that when you call a toll-free number, there is a different number delivery system available called ANI.  ANI cannot be spoofed by VoIP networks.  Many major toll free numbers use real-time ANI data instead of CallerID to avoid the types of hacks you're worried about.

If you're worried about your personal accounts, you may be able to request that your accounts be protected with a password of code in addition to or in lieu of using the reported phone number.

Who is on the other end of the phone when this happens?

Good Luck.

0 Likes