New FDV Administrative Charge
wolfcab
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think it is outrageous that Verizon is tacking on a new fee in the middle of a contract and calling it a new surcharge. Then this new fee gets sales tax added to it!!  I am already paying for digital voice service within my bundle. They are billing twice for the same service. I have cut my Verizon package so much to keep my monthly bill as low as possible and it's just another way for these utility companies to nickel and dime the consumer to death!!! 20% of my bill is devoted to Taxes and Fees. This is ridiculous!!!!

Re: New FDV Administrative Charge
eeedge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely.  This is an unregulated fee, which means that if they want to raise the cost to $100/month, we have no recourse.  In trying to have online chat with customer service reps this afternoon, one claimed that I needed to contact the FCC to get it addressed, and another simply "hung up" on that chat after pointing me to a random webpage that did not contain any information on the fee.

jp8899
Enthusiast - Level 3

Complaint submitted to the FCC:

Verizon added a 0.99 monthly fee (called FDV) for digital voice services.  The fee increases the cost of digital voice services, and was obviously used to circumvent contractual agreements.  It increases the cost of voice services, even though on a technicality it is not a direct increase in the cost of what Verizon categorizes as its "bundle."  If the FCC allows Verizon to implement this fee, it is allowing Verizon to increase the overall cost of voice services for its customers at will and without limit.  The FCC would also be allowing Verizon to violate two-year agreements for the cost of services that were signed in good faith that the cost for said services would not increase.

Go to the FCC website and submit a similar complaint.  I used form 2000B.

jp8899
Enthusiast - Level 3
Problem description:
Verizon has created a new fee (FDV) to increase the cost of its digital voice service. This fee is not an FCC charge or a content provider fee, it is a fee created by Verizon for the sole purpose of increasing the amount it charges for its digital voice service. The fee was created as a means to circumvent two-year service agreements. When I entered into the two-year contract with Verizon, it was with the understanding, as explained to me by the sales representative, that my cost for services would not increase for two years. Nevertheless, Verizon has created a way to increase the cost of its services without directly increasing the cost of its "bundle." If Verizon is allowed to create fees out of thin air in order to increase what it charges for services without limit, then the two-year agreements that they offer to customers are nothing less than a fraud.
Desired Settlement: Billing Adjustment
Desired Outcome:
My desired outcome is simply a credit in the amount of the fee and associated taxes for the duration of the contract. If that is not acceptable to Verizon, then I want to cancel my digital voice services without contract penalty with a prorated credit for voice services against my bundle.
chelseacat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I filed a complaint (form 2000B) with the FCC.  I think it is outrageous that Verizon can just make up new charges at will and insert them in the middle of 2 year agreements.

jp8899
Enthusiast - Level 3

Consider filing additional complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, the State Attorney General, and the Board of Public Utilities.   It is very easy to do.   If Verizon can increase the cost for its services outside of the "bundle", then those two-year-agreements are fraudulent and marketed fraudulently.  It's $.99 now and digital voice, but if it is permitted then it opens a door that consumers really do not want opened.

http://www.nj.gov/bpu/assistance/complaints/

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/ocpform.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

wolfcab
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and ideas. I have filed complaints with the FCC and the Federal Trade Commission.

@wolfcab wrote:

I think it is outrageous that Verizon is tacking on a new fee in the middle of a contract and calling it a new surcharge. Then this new fee gets sales tax added to it!!  I am already paying for digital voice service within my bundle. They are billing twice for the same service. I have cut my Verizon package so much to keep my monthly bill as low as possible and it's just another way for these utility companies to nickel and dime the consumer to death!!! 20% of my bill is devoted to Taxes and Fees. This is ridiculous!!!!

0 Likes
lauradontlikecs

It isn't just this one charge of .99 FDV Administrative charge notified in the March bill, we also saw an increase of .11 on the Federal Universal Service Fee from $2.69 to $2.80 this month(notified in the April bill)! I still have a whole year left on my Triple Play contract then I'm getting rid of my landline! No more loyalty on my part! BTW I am no longer rooting for Indy Team Penske!

0 Likes
bills1951

I agree!  I've filed a complaint with the PA public utility commision:

https://www.puc.pa.gov/filing_resources/filing_complaints/informal_complaint_form.aspx

0 Likes
fwanthony

I also filed a complaint about the new FDV admin charge

0 Likes