No Dial Tone Ever - ONT question
beltline1968
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had verizon Fios for quite a few years and discontinued service back in June. In July I upgraded to the new Quantum router and resigned up for service. For years I never had issues with the phone and when I re-signed back up I did the self install. For the phone I really didn't do anything other than the online activation process. I have never had a dial tone since re-signing up back in July. Here is what I have done:

• Checked all phone jacks to be sure nothing is plugged in. 
  • Tried connecting an old fashioned phone into the jack and get nothing - no dial tone - no static - just blank air.
  • Connected the phone to the outside ONT into test 1 - nothing, no dial tone.
  • Connected the phone to the outside ONT into Test 2 - I get a dial tone. 
  • Called the phone while plugged into the ONT Test 2 and the phone rang and you could communicate.
  • Called customer service to validate they see no issues on their end and they reported I should have a dial tone and everything should be fine.

So I've done absolutely nothing from when I had service for years to when I cancelled and reconnected service in July but get no dial tone. I don't believe it can be the in-home wiring unless it coincidentally had an issue at the exact same time in between disconnect and reconnect. So I have 3 questions: 

1. Can anyone tell me if Test 1 should provide a dial tone?
  2. Is there anything else I can test without calling a service tech?
  3. Can I just run a long line from the ONT Test 2 to the inside of the house? 

Any help or assistance would be appreciated as this has went on for quite a while. I'm paying for something that doesn't work and although I rarely have a need for a home phone I would like to make use of it from time to time.

Thanks

I believe the outside box is the ONT? If not I apologize for calling it the wrong thing.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No Dial Tone Ever - ONT question
done12many2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@beltline1968 wrote:
  2. Can I just run a long line from the ONT Test 2 to the inside of the house? 

I had the Verizon FiOS w/ phone activated before we fully moved in.  It was a self install on the set top boxes and FiOS router, but a tech came by to install the phone lines at the ONT. 

When I eventually got around to hooking up the phones, none of the phone jacks worked.  I went out to the ONT and saw that the lines were hooked into Line 1, which seemed right.  I hooked up a wired phone to the Line 1 jack and nothing happened.  I then plugged it into the Line 2 jack on the ONT and got a dial tone.  I moved the line running to house to Line 2 and the phones worked perfectly without further issue.

View solution in original post

done12many2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@beltline1968 wrote:
  2. Can I just run a long line from the ONT Test 2 to the inside of the house? 

I had the Verizon FiOS w/ phone activated before we fully moved in.  It was a self install on the set top boxes and FiOS router, but a tech came by to install the phone lines at the ONT. 

When I eventually got around to hooking up the phones, none of the phone jacks worked.  I went out to the ONT and saw that the lines were hooked into Line 1, which seemed right.  I hooked up a wired phone to the Line 1 jack and nothing happened.  I then plugged it into the Line 2 jack on the ONT and got a dial tone.  I moved the line running to house to Line 2 and the phones worked perfectly without further issue.

beltline1968
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep - that did it. I was reluctant to flip wires in the ONT as I didn't want them to say I did something. I told them over the phone I thought they setup line 2 vs line 1 but they kept wanting to send a technician and told me I would be charged if it's inside my house. Since you confirmed what I was thinking I went ahead and flipped them this monring in like 1 minute and all is good.  Verizon customer support is really bad as I've been telling them that but they kept telling me it was setup right. 4 months wihtout a phone, pffft.

Thanks again!

0 Likes