No Dial Tone
grumpdogg

For the second time in 3 days I have no dial tone.  The other day it just suddenly went out and returned a day later.  The strange thing is that even though I have no dial tone, I can see the number appear on the caller ID if I call the house from my mobile phone there is just no ring and I can't answer the call.  If I go to the outside ONT box I can get a dial tone.  Has anyone seen something like this before??

I am in the Keller, TX area.

0 Likes
Re: No Dial Tone
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

Regular Copper phone line or FIOS ?

If Copper do you have DSL?

If FIOS you can try plugging a phone directly into the test jack on your ONT. That would rule out any internal wiring issues.

If DSL do you have filters on every jack?

0 Likes
grumpdogg

It is FiOS. I plugged a phone directly into the test jack on the ONT the other day when I had no dial tone  and got a dial tone.  This is really wierd because it seems to have stopped working after I had called home earlier and hung up on the voicemail recording.

The thing I don't understand is why the caller ID would be working if the phones are out.

0 Likes
grumpdogg

Okay, I have an update. I still have no dial tone from any of the phone jacks in the walls of my house, but I noticed that I had a service data line/port in my indoor communications drop box (audio/video/telecom all come to this box).  I plugged my phone directly into that port and got a dial tone.  I went out to the ONT box and noticed that the FiOS install runs the phone connection into a Cable/DSL NID that is next to it for another company (I assume the previous owners used it prior to FiOS). Inside that box it looks as if the FiOS telephone line is split between the phone line entering the house that connects to my wall jacks and the direct line to the service data port which I assume was used by the previous owners for DSL.  Is it possible my install is incorrect and my service data port should not even be connected???

0 Likes