No landlne dial tone, but DSL working
Galvk

I don't have a dial tone but DSL is working fine. I tried plugginging in two different phones directly into the fisrt wall jack and still no dial tone. Any suggestions.?

Thank You

A

0 Likes
Re: No landlne dial tone, but DSL working
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So there could be a few things causing this.

The first is whether or not your line has a broken wire out of two pairs. DSL can continue to function, at lesser capacity over a single wire from a pair. The telephone however, will not.

Second, there could be a provisioning issue on Verizon's end that is preventing them from sending a dial tone to you. 

To troubleshoot this problem, locate your NID. This is usually found near your electrical box, electrical meter, or a common electrical ground. While some vary in look, most newer NIDs have a customer accessible section which contain some test phone jacks. You might want to test a phone at your NID for dial tone, as this will rule out potential issues with your home's wiring (shorts, broken wire pair, a faulty home run setup).

If you are unsure or need help, consider calling Verizon from another phone line. I don't know if the online chat support will support landline issues, but you could give that a try. The "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page will detail what your options are.

0 Likes
Galvk

Thanks for the reply

Verizon only has a repair technichian a week away, is there anyway to activate call forwarding online?

A

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For POTS, you would need to call Verizon if your line is out of service. This guide shows that the feature needs to be enabled from the functioning line. I don't know of a way through the website that isn't for FiOS Digital Voice.

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/calling+features/call+forwarding/question...

0 Likes