Off Hook voltage issue
Raul7600
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm installing some call boxes on a dedicated verizon phone line and the off hook voltage is to low to power the box.  The call box needs 10 volts to operate, but I'm only getting 6-7 volts.  Has anyone delt with this before? how can I up the voltage, or does Verizon needs to do this at their central locations?

thank for the help.

0 Likes
Re: Off Hook voltage issue
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Raul7600 wrote:

I'm installing some call boxes on a dedicated verizon phone line and the off hook voltage is to low to power the box.  The call box needs 10 volts to operate, but I'm only getting 6-7 volts.  Has anyone delt with this before? how can I up the voltage, or does Verizon needs to do this at their central locations?

thank for the help.

From some quick web searches it looks like most system off-hook voltage is 6-7 volts, not 10. 

0 Likes
Raul7600
Enthusiast - Level 1

I understand, and that's all I could fine also when I did my search also.  This call boxes by Ramtel required 10 volts to operate.  The first box I did worked fine, but it had the 10 volts when off hook.  I heard that the off hook voltage was adjustable by verizon tech/engineers, but not sure if this is true.

thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're being virtually served rather than coming out of the CO, the power is often less on these circuits. This mostly has to do with the fact that the equipment is built for a confined space and heat is a concern, but it is also for battery backup runtime. You also don't need to generate as much power to compensate for a long distance. Verizon can probably adjust that for you, but typically you'll find off-hook and on-hook voltages to be a few volts lower if you're not coming out of the CO.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@Raul7600 wrote:

I understand, and that's all I could fine also when I did my search also.  This call boxes by Ramtel required 10 volts to operate.  The first box I did worked fine, but it had the 10 volts when off hook.  I heard that the off hook voltage was adjustable by verizon tech/engineers, but not sure if this is true.

thanks

Have you contacted Ramtel to find out why their units require a voltage that is higher than the industry standard?  Maybe they can adjust their box to utilize a lower voltage.

Is this Digital Voice or copper? 

0 Likes