Phone#, Names and address - de-list from directory
suresh2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Greetings!

Years ago when I signed up with Verizon for residential phone service, I can't recall if I requested my phone #, names and addresses to be listed in their phone directory that gets published every year.  I did not think too much about privacy at that time.  Now I am trying to de-list from the directory but I am being told that it will cost me $4 per month to do this.

Is this correct information?

Does anyone know of another way to keep my details private?

Isn't this my private information and shouldn't this be my choice to keep it in their directory or keep them private?  why should this cost me $4m per month for eternity?

Thank you.

Suresh.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone#, Names and address - de-list from directory
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note you are talking peer to peer here.

Not sure if the cost is right, but its pretty much long been standard policy for telephone companies to charge a monthly fee FOREVER for not listing you.  I remember my parents being charged back in the 60's.

These days who uses a Phone Book Directory, pretty much your phone info is available to anyone who has an internet connection.  And of course those annoying callers don't even use a phone directory, calling everyone in an exchange.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note you are talking peer to peer here.

Not sure if the cost is right, but its pretty much long been standard policy for telephone companies to charge a monthly fee FOREVER for not listing you.  I remember my parents being charged back in the 60's.

These days who uses a Phone Book Directory, pretty much your phone info is available to anyone who has an internet connection.  And of course those annoying callers don't even use a phone directory, calling everyone in an exchange.

areisch18

Im so annoyed with Verizon.  My account is a week old and for the last several days i get unsolicited telemarket calls.  For all the talk out about protecting my privacy (**bleep**), Verizon has published my name and number without my consent and now i have to pay 4.50 each and every month to keep my info unpublished to the people i didn't want publishing my number to begin with. 

so Verizon is selling lists to telemarketers (i assume), unless i pay monthly fee.  no more contracts and no referrals for greedy unappreciative megacorp.  real disappointed.  now i have to pay the extra cost of changing my number and the monthly shakedown to keep my info from being published.  

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@areisch18 wrote:

For all the talk out about protecting my privacy (**bleep**), Verizon has published my name and number without my consent and now i have to pay 4.50 each and every month to keep my info unpublished to the people i didn't want publishing my number to begin with. 

If you did not explicitly order a non-published number, then it will be published.  It has been this way for oh, about 60 years or more.

Note that non-published numbers still get onto telemarketing lists.  Every time you give out your number you run the risk of that person or company putting it into a database and selling it.  The risk varies from very high for things like sweepstakes entries to very low such as your close friend.  Businesses fall somewhere in the middle.  It is really, really hard to keep a phone number limited to only a handful of people and businesses.

If you've gotten a new number as a result of moving into a new place it's possible a landlord, real estate office, post office or someone else who knows you're a new mover put your number on a list.  Verizon is just one of many likely suspects.

If you have FiOS Digital Voice, there is a great new, *free* service called nomorobo that zaps telemarketers with ease.  Check it out at nomorobo.com.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I strongly support the suggestion to try NOMOROBO if you have FiOS Digital Voice, I have been using it since Nov. 2013, it does a great job of blocking unwanted calls. Only downside is the phone still rings once, then NOMOROBO blocks the call at that point, but that is far, far better than the phone ringing and ringing until my aswering machine answers. And if you experience calls from specific numbers that aren't automatically blocked, you can request that NOMOROBO add them to their database, I have done that a number of times and I generally am not bothered again from those numbers.

As mentioned earlier, the NOMOROBO service is free, it is very easy to sign up, and if you decide you don't like it, it is easy to remove.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes