Phone Service
hlbullard
Enthusiast - Level 1

My in-laws are moving from the eastern part of Virginia up to the northern part of Virginia. They are currently renting a house. Now, is there a way of forwarding there calls to their cell phones and having the service in the rental house turned off? They have had this number for over 30 years, bussiness calls, family, and of course those sale calls (just joking) they need to have access to. They are willing to contnue paying for phone service so they can forward all calls, but I think it is not a good idea to leave the service on in a rental house if you are not living in it. Please help me in order to help them.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone Service
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  If you want a response from Verizon you need to call or chat with them.

I've never heard of any offering from Verizon that allows you to keep a phone number active without an associated phone line.  I sincerely doubt they can do this for you.  If they can, it's most likely a very costly business service.

A better option is to port the phone number to a VoIP service such as Vonage or OOMA.  With these services, you install a device that connects to your broadband Internet and then plug your phone(s) into it.  Regardless of where it's installed it will use the same phone number.  This will give you a very similar experience as a regular phone line.  Just pick up a phone and call.  Some VoIP providers also allow app based calling so you can access your phone number while on the move.  There are monthly fees with these providers that vary with the subscribed services. 

Another option is Google Voice.  They will charge you a fee to port the number.  No equipment is associated with Google Voice; it is purely network (cloud) based.  You setup Google Voice to forward incoming calls to any real phone you want.  It could be land line, cell phone or another VoIP provider.  Outgoing calls can be placed through an app on a smartphone, tablet or computer.  It's a different experience than a traditional phone line.  There is no monthly fee.

If you do decide to port the number, under no circumstances should you place any service orders with Verizon.  This includes a cancellation order.  Any pending orders will delay or prevent the number port.  Porting can take several weeks, so it is best to get started on it well in advance of your plans to vacate the old property.  I'd say two months to be safe.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  If you want a response from Verizon you need to call or chat with them.

I've never heard of any offering from Verizon that allows you to keep a phone number active without an associated phone line.  I sincerely doubt they can do this for you.  If they can, it's most likely a very costly business service.

A better option is to port the phone number to a VoIP service such as Vonage or OOMA.  With these services, you install a device that connects to your broadband Internet and then plug your phone(s) into it.  Regardless of where it's installed it will use the same phone number.  This will give you a very similar experience as a regular phone line.  Just pick up a phone and call.  Some VoIP providers also allow app based calling so you can access your phone number while on the move.  There are monthly fees with these providers that vary with the subscribed services. 

Another option is Google Voice.  They will charge you a fee to port the number.  No equipment is associated with Google Voice; it is purely network (cloud) based.  You setup Google Voice to forward incoming calls to any real phone you want.  It could be land line, cell phone or another VoIP provider.  Outgoing calls can be placed through an app on a smartphone, tablet or computer.  It's a different experience than a traditional phone line.  There is no monthly fee.

If you do decide to port the number, under no circumstances should you place any service orders with Verizon.  This includes a cancellation order.  Any pending orders will delay or prevent the number port.  Porting can take several weeks, so it is best to get started on it well in advance of your plans to vacate the old property.  I'd say two months to be safe.

Good Luck.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Another option is Google Voice.  

Strike that.  I forgot that only cell phones can be ported to Google Voice.  You'll need to port to a VoIP provider.  I mentioned two of the big ones, but there are lots more out there.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
hlbullard
Enthusiast - Level 1

This device you are talking about, where do I get one from and are they exspensive?

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hlbullard wrote:

This device you are talking about, where do I get one from and are they exspensive?

The device is often called a "phone adaptor."  Vonage often gives them away with new accounts.  Ooma sells them at a higher cost, but Oooma's monthly fee is much lower than Vonage.  Other VoIP providers have different pricing structures.  Some VoIP providers let you bring your own VoIP phone, which you can then buy anywhere.

You'll find that all VoIP services will cost less than a traditional land line, but that doesn't include the cost of the broadband Internet connection required for them to operate.  For most folks, they have broadband anyway so the VoIP cost is purely incremental.

Providers like Vonage and Ooma make it easy by providing all the equipment and service.  Some other providers are geared for the more tech savvy. 

You'll need to do a little bit of research to find the VoIP provider that works for you. If you need more details, you should review the various VoIP providers web sites, FAQs and forums.

Enjoy.

0 Likes