Phone number not portable from Comcast
SueinMD

We have waited over a year for FIOS to be available in our (new) community.  We set up with Comcast.  Fios is finally available for us now so  I was thrilled to try to set it up.  Going with triple play.  Can't tell you how disappointed  I was when it said my phone number was not portable to Verizon.  This is also a deal breaker for us.   We just got our phone number changed in all our accounts.  Not about to do it again.

0 Likes
Re: Phone number not portable from Comcast
minded
Contributor - Level 1

This doesn't sound right.  Before I say anything though, who told you that you couldn't port your number?  Was it over the phone? In person?  If over the phone, what options did you choose to get to where you ended up?

0 Likes
minded
Contributor - Level 1

I would suggest that you call into 1800-Verizon,  tell them you want to make sure FDV, fios digital voice is available where you live.  I don't see why, if it is available, you can't port your number.  If it isn't though, that may be the reason.

0 Likes
SueinMD

I was online trying to order the service.  At the same time, I was talking via internet chat to a Verizon representative.  First the computer told me I couldn't port the number.  Then the person I was dealing with told me the same thing.  Both said that FIOS was indeed available at our address.

0 Likes
Phone Number Not Portable, Or Not Available?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

One possible explanation for the information given to you is that the system or the rep understood the question to be:  "Is the phone number in question available?" (in which case the answer is "no").  The real question referred to portability.  The difference of course is that the system sees your number as not available for FiOS assignment, whereas you really want to know whether the number assigned to you for use with Comcast, can be reassigned to FiOS.  Long-winded explanation perhaps, but I think you see what is meant.

0 Likes
Re: Phone Number Not Portable, Or Not Available?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Cablevision will not release any of their numbers for portability out of their system.   The problem may be a restriction with the cable provider, not necessarily with Verizon.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Cablevision will not release any of their numbers for portability out of their system.   The problem may be a restriction with the cable provider, not necessarily with Verizon.

I didn't think Cablevision had any choice.  I thought FCC rules applied.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I know a bunch of folks that moved from Cable to FIOS and they were told they could not move their number to FIOS due to cablevision not allowing or inability to release their numbers.  Who knows but all of these folks got a new number from VZ.

Jim

0 Likes
UPDATE: Re: Phone number not portable from Comcast
SueinMD

I was able to talk to a Verizon representative today.  She told me that you have to talk to a person in order to port an existing number.  You cannot do it online.  She didn't seem to have any problem doing it and we are scheduled for installation next week, keeping our current (Comcast) phone number.  Thanks for all your responses.  If all does not go well next week, I'll post again.  LOL

0 Likes