Porting U-verse phone # to FiOS digital voice
cmill3821

I'm trying to sign up for the FiOS Triple Play package. I want to keep my current (AT&T U-verse) phone number, but when I check the number on the Verizon Web site I get the message that it "cannot be ported." The chat lady told me that because FiOS uses fiber, my old number won't work. She was unable to explain why this is the case, and eventually she told me that the online system is automated, and if it wouldn't let me port my number then I'd have to accept a new number to continue the sign-up process. Needless to say, the sign-up process is currently on hold!

The "fiber" explanation doesn't make any sense to me. U-verse also uses fiber optic technology and VoIP, and they had no difficulty porting my number when I signed up with them. I got my phone number about nine years ago, and it is a plain vanilla number with a local area code and an ordinary exchange/prefix that's widely used all over the city. I'm moving to a house that's about six miles away in the same city and county. U-verse isn't available at the new location, and I've already placed my disconnect order, at which time I was asked whether I wanted to keep my phone number. I said yes, so I don't think the number has been locked. FiOS is definitely available at the new location.

It's after 5 PM, so I can't call the Verizon business office until tomorrow. In the meantime, can someone kindly explain to me why my phone number can't be ported to a FiOS line?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Porting U-verse phone # to FiOS digital voice
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I'm sorry you are having trouble with the porting process. We can look into this to see whats going on. I have sent you a private message so we can get your personal information securely.

0 Likes
Wonder2
I am having a similar problem. My phone used to be a verizon number. Plus, the website never asked for what my phone number was.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

#1 not good to place a disconnect order until after your number is ported. When your number is ported, a third party will be connected to verify that you want your number transferred. Once the number is ported, the disconnect order should be automatic with the previous provider. Vonage to Verizon FiOS Digital Voice worked that way for me. I had to call Verizon and tell them I wanted them to port my Vonage number.

Even placing an order with Verizon will put your account on hold until the previous order is complete. I imagine ATT is no different. Thus the ATT account is probably on hold, and you may lose the number unless you call ATT and cancel the disconnect order. Then go back and attempt to have your number ported. It may take some doing now that all this has taken place.

0 Likes