ROBOCalls
Jerry281
Enthusiast - Level 1

I understand that any new technology may not be perfect, but right now I just need to see a real reduction in the obnoxious robocalls that interrupt my daily activities and introduce me to scammers.

Verizon should be taking the lead in blocking these annoying calls.  I do block calls myself using the minimal tools provided by Verizon.  But the the number of phone numbers you can block is limited, and you have to know in advance which numbers you want to block.  There are way more callers than 10, and they change constantly or use multiple numbers and exchanges.

The FTC has helped private companies introduce a range of technologies designed to reduce or eliminate these robocall scams, but until the phone companies, especially Verizon as one of the major national companies, adopt these solutions, they can't work for most people. 

I don't see any valid reason for Verizon NOT to implement a blocking solution.  In the long run it might actually SAVE the phone companies money in that they don't have to upgrade systems to accomodate as high a volume if the robocalls are eliminated.

Re: ROBOCalls
RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Agree with you Jerry.  10 numbers can't block half the calls we get.  And to make matters worse you can't tell from the list of numbers you've  blocked which ones are the recent vs older  ones.  So you can't delete the old ones unless you remember when you added them.

I'd be willing to use a simple feature that would block ALL calls that are not on a safe list that the customer can create.  Then if a call comes in that's not on the safe list, a message would ask them to enter a code.  If they can't repeat the code - what robocaller could, then they get disconnected.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

If you have FiOS Digital Voice take a look at the free NOMOROBO service. For me it does a very good job of blocking the robocallers. It is easy to implement, you can easily turn it off if you don't like it, and as I said, it is a free service. I have been using NOMOROBO for probably 6 months, very happy with it.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Justin, Where can I find this feature?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JimHough wrote:

Thanks Justin, Where can I find this feature?

It is not a feature, it is a service: http://www.nomorobo.com. I found out about it from stories on various news sites.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Oh I see, it's not affiliated with Verizon.  Then how does it work?  What's the catch being that it's "free?"

EDIT:  Just watched their video.  So they use simultaneus ring feature to ID the caller and compaire it to their black list.  So do you get a ring at all?  I'm wondering if instead of the robo call I'l be getting single rings then nothing.  Still probably better than having to continually pick-up/hang-up.  And I guess the "free" service is possible because they benifit from a larger database of robocall phone numbers that help the commercial customer  business.  I'll try it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JimHough wrote:

Oh I see, it's not affiliated with Verizon.  Then how does it work?  What's the catch being that it's "free?"

EDIT:  Just watched their video.  So they use simultaneus ring feature to ID the caller and compaire it to their black list.  So do you get a ring at all?  I'm wondering if instead of the robo call I'l be getting single rings then nothing.  Still probably better than having to continually pick-up/hang-up.  And I guess the "free" service is possible because they benifit from a larger database of robocall phone numbers that help the commercial customer  business.  I'll try it.

You will get one ring, then nothing. While that might be annoying to some, I view it as proof that the service works. And it really does appear to me that the robocallers are getting the message about my phone number, that they aren't going to get through, the volume of calls has seemingly dropped probably 75%. I gladly accept the occasional single ring in place of the constant ring, ring, ring we were experiencing before! Smiley Very Happy 

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Happy to report I got my first ROBO call this morning from the infamous "Consumer Svcs."  One ring, and then nothing.  Thank you NOMOROBO for stepping in.  And thank you Justin for the tip.

0 Likes
Patreek
Enthusiast - Level 1

Spammer use a different phone number every time they call, sometimes they are numbers belong to An innocent third party.

0 Likes