• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
crazyfingers
0 Kudos

Second Line/Separate Cabling for One Phone

Hi,

I am a FIOS Triple Play user. 

I am setting-up a business in my basement office and need to add a second phone line. I seem to have two options: 

(1) As I understand things, you can add-a-line for about $10/month. That requires no hardware installation. For the second number, all phones in the house will ring with a distinct ring tone. The local/LD services are shared across this number. Installation can easily be done on-line.

(2) For my business calls, I may not want all house phones ringing. In this case, I understand I need a separate physical line run from the box to my phone. Does this require a Verizon rep to install or is it somethig I can do myself if I am comfortable doing basic wiring (which I am). It is a short run froim the box to my phone--probably 15 feet.

I called Verizon about option 2 and the question seems to have stumped everybody. I was surprised by that--seems like a basic question to me.

Thanks!

Silver Contributor V
armond_in_nj
0 Kudos

Re: Second Line/Separate Cabling for One Phone

[ Edited ]

crazyfingers wrote:

... I am setting-up a business in my basement office and need to add a second phone line ... I understand I need a separate physical line run from the box to my phone. Does this require a Verizon rep to install or is it somethig I can do myself if I am comfortable doing basic wiring ... [?]

Basically you can do it yourself.  I have done this in my home.  I added a second Digital Voice line that connects directly to the ONT.  I then was able to  use my existing telco distribution network for the new service.  You can arrange all this over the phone (but very probably not online).  If you need more detail, just ask.

Silver Contributor IV
jumpin68ny
0 Kudos

Standard copper phone wiring has four wires 

Diagram showing old-style wire.  T1 = Green, R1= Red, T2 = Black, R2 = Yellow

Green/Red are usually for Line 1

Black/Yellow for line 2

Your ONT needs to be wired up with all four wires, line 1 (which is probably the case today-Green/Red) and then for line 2 (Black/Yellow).  I don't know if VZ has four wires coming out of the ONT or only two.   But those wires coming out of the ONT need to connect into your house wiring.

Then assuming the four wires run throughout all of your house, if you plug a 2 line phone into the jack you would then have dial tone on both lines (assuming the second line is on).

Not sure if this makes sense.  If you want to reference: http://www.wire-your-phones.com/

Jim

Contributor
crazyfingers
0 Kudos

Thanks, Folks. Very helpful.

I find it surprising (pathetic?) that I can't get somebody from Verizon on the phone to answer these types of questions. I was a Cablevision customer for years. They outshine Verizon in terms of customer service by a huge margin.

Oh well...

Thanks again!

Silver Contributor IV
jumpin68ny

What VZ lacks in support they make up on the quality of the TV Service, MRDVR,  and speed of the Internet.  Those minor annoyances with VZ far outway the superior product you get from VZ.  

Jim

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411