Setting up a fax machine
robretpd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Had Fios tv/internet and phone installed in September. AFter install my all in one HP stopped receiving fax.  After numerous calls I was told that it was probably to old and was not compatible and the tech suggested a newer model Brother fax and to stay away from all in ones and HP...from his experience. I just bought a Brother 575. Any suggestions on how to set it up to work? I am not using my own answering system, I am using the verizon voice mail. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a fax machine
robretpd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess this must be a touchy subject...not one reply 😞

0 Likes
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

Hi. For normal phone service, you shouldn't have to setup anything. You should be able to just plug into a phone jack, send and receive. But, If your FiOS home phone is "FiOS Digital Voice" (calls over the internet) as opposed to regular "FiOS Voice" (calls through typical phone systems), then you may have to adjust the settings on the fax machine to be able to send/receive digitally. Those instructions should be in the manual or you may have to contact the manufacturer to walk you through the set up.

Let me know how it goes.

-Ric

-VZsupport

0 Likes
robretpd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the digital phone service with the verizon voice mail. I emailed Brother and they said it would conflict. Can I switch from verizon digital to regular and still have the verizon voice mail? If so maybe that is the easiest solution. Thanks

0 Likes
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, you can switch your service back to regular phone and still have voicemail, but you would lose other features that only digital voice has, like checking voicemails online, saving messages on your PC and setting up various call features that regular voice cannot do. I'd suggest calling in and speaking to a support rep at Brother. Tell them that your phone service is (VOIP) Voice Over IP, they should know what to do. I did the exact same thing with my Canon fax/printer. Went through the whole manual, couldn't get it to work to save my life. Called Canon, rep walked me through the setup, works great. If they can't get it working then you can call customer service at 800VERIZON and switch back to regular phone with voicemail.

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a fax machine HELP!
birdski

I have a similar problem. A 10+ yr. old fax/answering machine/phone died and I have been trying to replace it. I bought and returned 2 new Panasonic fax/phone/ans. machines thinking that they were both defective.I cannot get the Auto Answer TAM/Fax to work. I can't receive messages or faxes. The phone hangs up after a couple of rings. I have tried everything (including disconnecting my other phones). I can, however, make calls and send faxes. A Panasonic customer service person suggested that I try using another phone jack in someone else's home, but that's not really possible in a large apartment building where we don't all know each other. I called Verizon and asked them to check my phone line...which seems OK I was told. Meanwhile, Panasonic has sent me yet another machine. I would really like to be able to get it to work. Do you have any tips that might help? I have a regular phone connection. Would having a service person come to check my lines help? I don't understand what the problem is. My old fax worked fine. I went and bought a $20 answering machine and it works fine.

0 Likes
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

The problem you describe is exactly the way it happened to me. Everything worked but faxing out died after a few rings. At first, I'd assume the trouble is the same, settings on the fax. But if your phone is POTS (plain old telephone service), not digital and Panasonic can't get it working even after replacing the fax machine, then it may be wiring. It's possible the wiring in the jack is slightly deteriorated. Not to the extreme that it kills dialtone, your line is all static and nothing works, but bad enough to add noise where the faxes can't understand each other and hang up.

So you may want to have someone take a look at the wiring. If you have the wire maintenance plan it should cover any labor costs. If you don't have wire maintenance, you can call customer service, place a service order to have a tech come out, or look for an electrician/phone repair in the yellow pages as a less costly alternative.

0 Likes
syasturi

A few months ago I switched to FIOS digital voice, and the next time I went to use my fax machine, it would not relay a fax. I got a dial tone, connected with the fax at the other end of the line, it would chirp and I would press "fax start." "Receiving" would come up on the little window, but after that, nothing. "Receiving" stayed on until the connection died. I called the Verizon fios service, and the tech person swore that fios did not affect the transmission of faxes, and that it had to be my fax machine. Dutifully, I went out and bought a Brother 575...which proceeded to do exactly what my earlier fax machine did. A Google search brought me to this forum, where I learned how totally inaccurate the tech's information had been.

With my Brother 575 plugged in, today I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon fios support getting exactly nowhere. There were equal parts of getting sent to the wrong departments and the calls dropping (with no callback, despite their having my number). After the last dropped call, I gave up. So I've still got the original problem--I can't send faxes. The only change is that I've increased the number of reasons to be upset with Verizon. There is 1) the poor service today; 2) the tech person I consulted with after having fios being illiterate about how fios can affect faxing; and 3)  the fact that when Verizon was trying to get me to transfer to fios it never says a word about how it can affect my ability to fax. So there I am, no closer to a solution than when Verizon installed fios several months ago.

VERIZON, ARE YOU READING THIS?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have been using an older HP office jet for faxing without issue and recently bought a new HP Officejet.  Still without issue.  Please explain how the fax machine is connected to the phone jack? Do you go through a telephone or directly into the phone jack?  Have you used a phone on the fax line to confirm there is no static or noise on it?  Is the wire that you are using in the fax machine 2 wire or 4 wire?  

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

syasturi,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look down the middle towards the bottom where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".

There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes