Should I let them switch my phone service to FIOS?
Aardwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon recently contacted me several times, requesting to switch my phone service to FIOS because it was more reliable (fewer outages). I have had several service calls in the past year due to trouble with the phone service, so I agreed to the switch.

Now I'm wondering whether switching to FIOS would be a mistake. I know that if we lose power, we'll lose access to our landline phone after the battery backup runs out (which Verizon says is 8 hours, but other people think it declines over time). Are there other drawbacks to switching to FIOS? Are there benefits that outweigh them? (We have TV & internet through Comcast and have no plans to change, so FIOS wouldn't help us in that regard.)

Thanks in advance for any insights.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should I let them switch my phone service to FIOS?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My 2 cents here is Digital Voice is worth it over POTS.  First off you get a lot more features over standard Verizon Phone line.

For example you can forward calls, simulatenous ring, block calls, voice mail, view call logs, etc.  You have more control and features which makes it worth it.

If your FIOS phone line ever goes out you can have your incoming calls go to say a cell or other designated phone.

The taxes on digital voice are less too. 

JIm

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My 2 cents here is Digital Voice is worth it over POTS.  First off you get a lot more features over standard Verizon Phone line.

For example you can forward calls, simulatenous ring, block calls, voice mail, view call logs, etc.  You have more control and features which makes it worth it.

If your FIOS phone line ever goes out you can have your incoming calls go to say a cell or other designated phone.

The taxes on digital voice are less too. 

JIm

Aardwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jim - Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dumb question: if they switch me to FIOS, does that mean I automatically have Digital Voice, or is that a type of service I need to opt into (that's above and beyond regular phone service over fiber-optic cable)?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Aardwolf wrote:

Jim - Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dumb question: if they switch me to FIOS, does that mean I automatically have Digital Voice, or is that a type of service I need to opt into (that's above and beyond regular phone service over fiber-optic cable)?

No, Fios has another service, often bundled as Fios Freeedom Essentials.  But There is a definite push these days for people to have Fios Digital Voice and usually and less you insist on something else, thats what you will get.

Aardwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The letter I got from Verizon about this switch said, "There is absolutely no charge to make this transition - you keep the same voice service at the same rate." So, although they'll likely try to upsell me to Digital Voice, I certainly haven't committed to any increased charges yet.

This all may not matter, as they were supposed to do the work between 1 and 5 today, and it's now 5, with no sign of them .... 😉

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Even if they try to upsell you to it, it's less expensive due to the lack of taxes on it compared to regular telephone service.  so shouldn't be a big deal.  and I +1 that you should get it.  I like the features and as stated, it has an auto roll over to a cell phone if your service goes out for any reason. 

0 Likes
dsmith4ever
If you do or dd upgrade to fios DO NOT EXPECT TO BE ACCEPTING ANY COLLECT CALLS AT ALLLLL .... 😞
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@dsmith4ever wrote:
If you do or dd upgrade to fios DO NOT EXPECT TO BE ACCEPTING ANY COLLECT CALLS AT ALLLLL .... 😞

That is for Fios Digital voice.  Other phone service over optical do not have that restriction.  Its not clear what phone service the OP is being offered.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a need for a copper-based POTS line (perhaps due to medical needs or such) where the Telephone company has to keep the network up and running, don't go to FiOS for phone. Otherwise, the Phone service from FiOS is pretty rock solid. The network holds up well and besides the occasional glitch that occurs with Digital Voice, it works well, it's clear, and it's loud. The Battery Backup issue is often worked around by folks by attaching a UPS in-line with the ONT which will supply extra power to the ONT before the BBU has to fall back to battery, and the ONT if you have a generator can always be connected to the generator. All depends on how much you lose power, for how long it happens, and if you don't have any other phones in reach.

Short answer: Unless you have a need for copper-based POTS, it's fine to move to Optical phone. Verizon's working to shut off the copper network as it is.

0 Likes