Stopping Robo Calls and Solicitation Calls
BillWagner

There are a growing number of Robocalls that are the illegal kinds soliciting business. Some calls come from live people, some from computers.  The Federal Government paid to have a company develope a system that blocks such calls.  The web site is Nomorobo.com.  It operates by allowing a second call I believe.  Anyway others who use it say it is great ... but they don't use Verizon.  Nomorobo says the my phone is not supported. WHY? WHY? WHY?  In addition, since I am in a Condominium, they say I can't use another phone company.  Do I have to move to get peace from RoboCalls, or find some way to do without my landline phone service and go mobile only?  Are there any plans to provide this service to your captive users? Two other people in the Condo are likewise mad as hell.

0 Likes
Re: Stopping Robo Calls and Solicitation Calls
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

Nomorobo is a great service.  It requires a feature called "simultaneous ring" on the user's phone line.  This feature causes one or more additional phone numbers to ring AT THE SAME TIME as the main line for all incoming calls.  The first line that picks up the call gets to talk while the others stop ringing.

When nomorobo's 800 number is one of those extra numbers, they can see the caller ID of the inbound call.  The CallerID is compared against their database of junk callers and if it is found, the call is picked up by nomorobo.  Thus, the main line will ring once when nomorobo intercepts a call.

Traditional Verizon phone service does not include simultaneous ring, so it can't be used with nomorobo.  VoIP services such as Vonage or Ooma have this feature, as does FiOS Digital Voice and most cable TV phone services.  Google Voice is an option as well.

Good Luck.

0 Likes