Switch to Digital Voice
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

Currently I have FIOS Triple Service and the phone portion is Freedom Essentials.  I would like to switch the phone portion to Digital Voice.  My contract is long ago up and I am on a month to month basis.  Digital Voice is available in my neighborhood (Private Homes).  Neighbor on both sides of me have it.   I was talking to Customer Service about a different issue last week and in passing asked about switching.  The agent told me that Verizon is not currently switching customers due to technical/billing problems.  I didn't have time then to pursue it further, however I was wondering if I received valid information. 

Does anyone know about this or even better, has anyone tried either successfully or unsuccessfully to make the switch from Freedom to Digital Voice?

0 Likes
Re: Switch to Digital Voice
indecisive311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been wondering this too. I'm a techy guy, and always getting the latest apps, and devices. Smartphones have an app that allows you to check your voicemail, and is only available for Digital Voice customers. Plus Digital Voice customers don't have to pay one of the FCC fees I'm told, saving a few bucks a month.

I just got off the phone with customer service about trying to upgrade to Digital Voice, and I got some run-around reason that customers were being upgraded that didn't want to be, and it was a huge billing issue. So they limited who is elligible to only new customers with new installations. Same thing you heard pretty much....

I think if you want the service, you should be able to get it, especially if you are a long time Verizon customer. Sounds like they just want to avoid the cost of sending a technician out to your house....

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@indecisive311 wrote:

I've been wondering this too. I'm a techy guy, and always getting the latest apps, and devices. Smartphones have an app that allows you to check your voicemail, and is only available for Digital Voice customers. Plus Digital Voice customers don't have to pay one of the FCC fees I'm told, saving a few bucks a month.

I just got off the phone with customer service about trying to upgrade to Digital Voice, and I got some run-around reason that customers were being upgraded that didn't want to be, and it was a huge billing issue. So they limited who is elligible to only new customers with new installations. Same thing you heard pretty much....

I think if you want the service, you should be able to get it, especially if you are a long time Verizon customer. Sounds like they just want to avoid the cost of sending a technician out to your house....

Not exactly what he told me.  He stated that switching caused major problems in the billing department and they were working on fixing it and they intended to offer the service to ALL customers in the near future.  While that is somewhat different than the  "only new customers" can get it, the result at least for now is the same.

I will wait until this billing cycle ends, because I have some changes in the works and I want to keep the billing as simple as possible. In fact I will probably give it a few months as I don't really want to switch.  I will then do as the other poster sugested, which I was already considering. I will give Verizon a choice -  provide Digital Voice Phone service or NO phone service.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Prisaz, what's the deal with the $5 charge for no phone line?  I haven't had a voice line with VZ in years and don't pay an extra $5. 

0 Likes
indecisive311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would love to hear from a VZ rep...

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Prisaz, what's the deal with the $5 charge for no phone line?  I haven't had a voice line with VZ in years and don't pay an extra $5. 

When I looked at bundle pricing a while back, I was something about a $4.99 surcharge for FiOS without voice because of account management issues. I was also told this by a CSR last year when I considered dropping voice. But sis see it on the web site at one time. I will look around.

0 Likes
indecisive311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just did an online chat with someone and they said it didn't matter if I was a new customer or not, they could upgrade me to Digital Voice if I wanted it. They would just have to change the bundle? They said I was given wrong information. Looks like another call....

JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@indecisive311 wrote:

I just did an online chat with someone and they said it didn't matter if I was a new customer or not, they could upgrade me to Digital Voice if I wanted it. They would just have to change the bundle? They said I was given wrong information. Looks like another call....

It would be appreciated if you post back after you do and let us know what happened

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Well my cost will increase next month so I will not make changes in March. So yes, please post back how it goes. A year ago I was told the same thing, to switch from FiOS POTS to DV it would require a bundle change. My main reason for not switching, my bundle discounts are up next month so I will stick with it for another month. I will probably change bundles and commit to another two years. I have been with FiOS from the start and have no current plans on leaving. So change bundles if you must and get whatever deal you can. They are fairly reasonable in these types of situations when you are willing to stay commited to the FiOS service. Good luck and enjoy.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Do they have 2 year commitements?  My double play pricing commitement expires 4/1 and would go from 79 to 89 but CS offered me a one year price committement and $10 monthly discount for being a loyal customer.

0 Likes