The Landline Elephant in the room
Artworksmetal
In 2008, Verizon sold their landlines in 16 states. In order to reduce the bleeding, apparently they have also created some low cost landline plans that they make available, but only if you threaten to drop your service. 

I considered dropping my landline like so many other people. I was paying about $38 a month. I called and spoke to a very nice lady. She offered me a reduced service that provided something like 30 local calls a month for about $20 including tax. A few days later, I signed in online, and clicked on 'Change my Plan.' The only plans offered started at almost $50 + tax. I spent about 30 minutes combing the Verizon website, but found nothing about this other option. 
Two weeks later I called back to cancel altogether. This little bit of deception left a bad taste in my mouth. Lo, this time I was offered $15 a month (again, inc. taxes), but all calls are charged by the minute. My wife said to go for this, just so people could call us at home (don't ask!). I asked the rep if it wasn't deceptive not to offer this plan as an option on the website. Her response: " It isn't a plan, it's a service."
Well, when I log in now, it says under My Plan: Message Rate Service. When I click on 'Details', all it says is SPRINT DIAL 1 SERVICE. 
So what does that mean? Who knows? A search of these forums reveals 1 question about Message Rate Service from 2009, and it went unanswered. 
Where are the details?
Why didn't the first rep tell me about the cheaper plan?
If I call back again, will I get offered something else? 
Why can't I even read about the 'Service'  I'm now paying for? 
The whole thing smell rotten to me.    
0 Likes
Re: The Landline Elephant in the room
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about your problem with the phone plans. I have sent a private message on this issue.

0 Likes
Artworksmetal

Anthony, thanks for the offer of help with my account. But I don't need any private help. I am paying $20 for 'Message Rate Service". Also called on my bill "Optional Usage Sensitive'. When I click on my Plan details, there are no details.

Searching the Verizon website yield nothing.

What is the big secret?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Billing agents do not moderate this forum. If you would like to speak with one to explain this I will be glad to set that up for you. Should you decide to take my help, please reply to my private message so I can get your number and we can set that up.

0 Likes
LUDlost

I am seeking information as to how to obtain what are called the "line usage detail" or LUDs also called local phone call records listing the incoming and outgoing call activity for my landline phone.  

Verizon customer service told me to physically go to the building that houses the local branch of Verizon, show my ID and they could help me. I know people who worked for Verizon. They started laughing when I told them what customer service suggested because these local buildings are highly automated and are extremely secure. No one would let me into the building without proper company clearances and once inside, there's no one there who could help with this request.

The automated online help suggested I sign up for the free Verizon Call Assistant to access this information. I have the requisite Verizon Voice Mail service already.  However, at the end of signing there is a disclaimer that says the service isn't compatible with Mac computers.

Do I really need to hire a private investigator to find the answer to my question or just switch to another carrier that will provide me with a record of my incoming calls?

0 Likes