Too many junk calls
BigDaveVT

Is there any way to block more than 10 numbers?  The level of junk calls has reached the point where it's plain unacceptable.  The next step is going to be to ditch my home phone and use Skype or MagicJack instead.

0 Likes
Re: Too many junk calls
NewEngland1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Absolutely YES! and it works!

An effort was put in place by the FCC a few years ago. A contest was announced and thousands of suggestions (hardware, software, etc) were made. Last December, one company was awarded $50,000 for their solution. We implemented it and no more junk calls!

Here's how it works- you sign up on a website with your phone number. Then you activate "dual ringing" on the Verizon website (options). When a spammer calls, it rings ONCE on your phone as well as another phone (the phone which filters all spam calls). When it searches their database and comes up with a hit, the call is disconnected, so you must let it ring once.

We have eliminated about 95% of these calls and it costs zero. For details on how to set it up:

http://www.nomorobo.com/

Enjoy!  Smiley Happy

BigDaveVT

Well, problem #1: that sounds rather sketchy - I'm not forwarding all of my phone calls to some random company.

Problem #2: I already use simultaneous ring to have my cell phone ring when my home phone is called so that's no an option anyway.

If I can't have my home phone ring my cell phone, then I'm not going to have a home phone.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BigDaveVT wrote:

Well, problem #1: that sounds rather sketchy - I'm not forwarding all of my phone calls to some random company.

Problem #2: I already use simultaneous ring to have my cell phone ring when my home phone is called so that's no an option anyway.

If I can't have my home phone ring my cell phone, then I'm not going to have a home phone.

Solution #1: They don't know it's your phone.  Everyone forwards to the same 800 number.  I'm not sure if you even have to register with nomorobo.com, but I did.

Solution #2: FiOS Digital Voice supports up to three numbers for simultaneous ring.  You can have your home phone, cell phone and nomorobo all ring at the same time.

Having telemarketer calls magically disappear is worth the "risk" of a "sketchy" company to me.

Enjoy.

0 Likes