UNLISTED NUMBER THAT STILL GET CALLS/ VERIZON BLOCKING FEATURE SUCKS!
ConcernedFamily

We pay for an unlisted number, in addition to adding our number to the DO NOT CALL LIST for our home and cell numbers and STILL get calls from unsolicited callers daily on our home number anf cell numbers, and I am sick of it! . Why am I paying for an UNLISTED phone number monthly and still am subjected to these late night or early weekend calls (when I am sleeping in). I want my money back for what I am paying to have my number unlisted! One of our cell phones that we lend to our son's is BOMBARDED with telemarketers calls and text messages (inappropriate and unsafe) that we cannot block because they are using different numbers for the same purpose. What is Verizon going to do about this? I have just purchased a phone for my teen through Kajeet (Customer Service rocks) which offers me so much more than Verizon can do (not activation fees, cancellation fees, parental controls, etc..)!!  Sick of your two year agreements for every upgrade we have to make and  no information on how we can keep our youth safe using your cell service w/o sticking us with a cost!   Rabbit ears on my t.v. again is inviting, because we have one tv in our house with one of your boxes and plan to add no more, going month to month because the options you offer are more than when want to pay for or really care about. Beginning to be more disappointed in Verzion each month.  

0 Likes
Re: UNLISTED NUMBER THAT STILL GET CALLS/ VERIZON BLOCKING FEATURE SUCKS!
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
I am not with Verizon Wireless but I thought I would just add. Paying for an unlisted number just means that Verizon is not currently giving your phone number out to anyone. However since many phone numbers are recycled these days who knows who had that phone number previously. There are many ways a phone number can get on the list for solicitors. For example if you are at the Mall and enter a "free" drawing to win a new car. They will likely sell your phone number to companies. Anyways all I am saying is that Verizon has no control over that stuff. And again I am not saying that YOU have done anything like that. But once the phone number is out there it is out there and Verizon can't know who has it in their call lists. Yes there is that national do not call list, but illigitimate solicitors don't care about that list.
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ConcernedFamily wrote:

We pay for an unlisted number, in addition to adding our number to the DO NOT CALL LIST for our home and cell numbers and STILL get calls from unsolicited callers daily on our home number anf cell numbers, and I am sick of it! . Why am I paying for an UNLISTED phone number monthly and still am subjected to these late night or early weekend calls (when I am sleeping in). I want my money back for what I am paying to have my number unlisted! One of our cell phones that we lend to our son's is BOMBARDED with telemarketers calls and text messages (inappropriate and unsafe) that we cannot block because they are using different numbers for the same purpose. What is Verizon going to do about this? I have just purchased a phone for my teen through Kajeet (Customer Service rocks) which offers me so much more than Verizon can do (not activation fees, cancellation fees, parental controls, etc..)!!  Sick of your two year agreements for every upgrade we have to make and  no information on how we can keep our youth safe using your cell service w/o sticking us with a cost!   Rabbit ears on my t.v. again is inviting, because we have one tv in our house with one of your boxes and plan to add no more, going month to month because the options you offer are more than when want to pay for or really care about. Beginning to be more disappointed in Verzion each month.  

Just because your numbers are unlisted and are on the Do Not Call Registry does not mean that callers can't randomly dial your number or use a number calling list that includes it.  They are breaking the law by doing this and in many cases are illegally spoofing their caller ID information (usually with invalid numbers) in which case blocking the number has no impact because the number isn't real.

What would you have Verizon do about something they have no control over?  If people are going to violate the law, how can Verizon prevent them from doing so?

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You have to remember that charities and businesses you have done business with are permitted to call you as well.  I'm almost certain policitical calls fall into permitted calls.

Now, these cold calling still goes on and are getting away with it because they are finding ways around call blocking and when you report them you don't have their phone number to report.

We screen all of our calls.  If we know the number we answer, if we don't know the number that's what an answering machine or Voicemail is for.  If they want to talk to you they will leave a message.

I will admit when I moved my phone service to VZ I did notice a significant increase in cold callers so I'm going to guess that someone sold my phone number to someone.  Or maybe my wife signed up for something... WHo knows.....

JIm

0 Likes
oOOOo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The governmental DO NOT CALL lists, unfortunately, are a joke. No funding for actual enforcement. No teeth, no compliance. But you better file that tax return...

Google NOMOROBO. It will block some of them. When you sign up for NOMOROBO, request that they add charity and political to the blocked number list.

Even with NOMOROBO, I am still getting some calls. I report them to NOMOROBO then add them to my BLOCKED list. Which, unfortunately, maxes at 10 numbers.

Again, unfortunately, FIOS DIgital voice CALL BLOCK may or may not actually work. One of these &^%$s got through both NOMOROBO and FIOS CALL BLOCK. Support rebooted everything ... we'll see if that guy gets through again.

0 Likes
DMitch2

Verizon *block calls* promises to block calls from numbers you add to your blocked call list and ALSO anonymous numbers but blocking anonymous numbers DOES NOT work!  Verizon needs to fix that and THAT would stop spoofed numbers from getting through. I repeatedly get calls from {edited for privacy}.  That isn't even a legitimate phone number.  Verizon should keep their promise to block anonymous calls and ESPECIALLY THE NUMBER I JUST LISTED.  IT IS A SCAM NUMBER!! Hello Verizon are you listening?

0 Likes
kelly1
Contributor - Level 1

This is the same reason I am getting rid of my phone service from Verizon.  I am trying to find out how to do it online, but I may just have to call them tomorow.  I have my cell phone and that is all the phone connections that I need.

0 Likes
kelly1
Contributor - Level 1

NOMOREROBO doesn't work.  Within two minutes of setting it up, we received TWO unsolicited calls.  I had to turn the Do Not Disturb option back ON after that.

0 Likes