Verizon Responsible Robocalls in NYC claiming 'landline issues in your area'?
BJK8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I started received these calls some months ago.  They are barely audible, at no time does the recording identify the source of the calls.

The recording claims that 'due to landline issues in your area we are welcoming you to upgrade your service', then providing a 1 877 number.

At first I assumed that this was a 'phishing' or 'slamming' attempt. 

This time I called the number, and was stunned to be connected to the Verizon helpline.

When an agent came on, I asked why was Verizon sending out these robocalls, when I had not been experiencing (current) landline phone issues.

I was told that as of Jan 30 of this year, Verizon 'was no longer supporting their copper landline system'. 

Anyone who experiences a 'non-resolvable' phone problem as of this date must sign-up for FIOS in order to have a landline phone.

Has anyone else experienced this, and anyone confirm that this information is accurate, and the copper landline system will be allowed to deteriorate further as a matter of policy?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Responsible Robocalls in NYC claiming 'landline issues in your area'?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This can be confirmed. In places where Verizon already has FiOS service, they are trying to shut down the copper network in favor of Fiber. There's many reasons for this, but the notable ones are it's cheaper to maintain, is more reliable, and not to mention carried a huge upfront cost to be built.

Verizon does have to keep the copper service up and running due to regulation for specific reasons, mostly relating to medical and first response services. In general, what this is saying is, as long as you have copper service, and as long as it doesn't go down entirely or break to the point where it's unusable, you can continue to use it. Just expect to be pushed to FiOS as a service restoration avenue should the service ever break.

For some experience, many people in my area are being moved to it. No real complaints have come out of it.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Responsible Robocalls in NYC claiming 'landline issues in your area'?
BJK8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can one of the Verizon Moderators of this forum please explain why I received email notification: 

'You have received a private message in the Verizon Forums from: Snookered2 with the subject line: Hi from a former customer..'

but I cannot access this message?

There is no 'envelope icon' to be seen anywhere.  Please correct/update this so I can read what was sent to me.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

The PM envelope is as the top right of the forum pages, as shown below:

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In addition to the above, you can use this link if the element is missing from the page: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

0 Likes