Re: Verizon demanding removal of copper phone line
pat_francis

A Verizon tech stopped by the house this morning, and was rude to the point where I threatened to call the police.  He said "there is a copper line and I am cutting it now, you will convert to fios".  Apparently this same tech has been going up and down the street with the same threatening demeanor.

Considering going to COMCAST as a result of this arrogant attitude.

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

@joef1987 wrote:

A Verizon tech stopped by the house this morning, and was rude to the point where I threatened to call the police.  He said "there is a copper line and I am cutting it now, you will convert to fios".  Apparently this same tech has been going up and down the street with the same threatening demeanor.

Did anything ever come of this?

0 Likes
Phone_Guy1

It's YOUR wire - keep it.  Sounds like someone who is stealing copper.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phone_Guy wrote:

It's YOUR wire - keep it.  Sounds like someone who is stealing copper.

No they are switching many areas off of COPPER to FIOS.   But of course they are suppose to be polite about it.

0 Likes
mobery

I do not think they can just decide to move you to FIOS in an urban area where the copper is working.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mobery wrote:

I do not think they can just decide to move you to FIOS in an urban area where the copper is working.

Actually they can unless some state/local government rule prevents them.  Just because your Copper is working and may continue to work for years to come, doesn't mean everyone elses will.  Its cheaper for to switch you all off then to continue to repair the existing copper wire when problems occur.

0 Likes
AnnJ11
Contributor - Level 3

For what it's worth, here is my experience: Three years ago, I still had Verizon copper wire, but not their TV or internet. Every time it rained (!) or snowed, I would lose my phone service. Sometimes it would come back when it dried out, but usually I'd have to call Verizon from my cell phone. It would eventually be fixed, but it sometimes took several days. Several repairmen told me that the trouble was in a box half a mile away, that no other customers were using those wires, and that they were not being maintained. Several times, I reported that the door to one of the boxes on my road was standing open.

After about 10 times, you can imagine that I got sick of all this, and since I wasn't ready to give up having a landline phone, I decided that it was time to switch to something else. (I might as well add the part about how when I called and finally got through, they would always ask me to go outside in the rain - or snow - in the middle of the night with a flashlight and check the connection to my house to prove that it wasn't MY fault. Not to mention that I was supposed to unplug every extension phone in my house and then try to see if one of my phones was causing the problem.)

I resented that I was being forced to give up copper wire, and I had grave doubts about Verizon's service, but their triple play offer was better than that of other companies in my area, and none of those companies were so wonderful either.

So I guess my point is that it's noble to fight to keep your copper service, but I didn't have the stomach for it myself. Google "Verizon + copper" for discussions about the legality of what they are doing. There's a comprehensive article here: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Verizon-Fios-Phone-Copper-Customers-Say-They-Felt-Pressured-...

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

choice switch FiOs,  no more headche for coopper line.

0 Likes